• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what a difference 5 grains makes!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been enjoying shooting my .54 flintlock of late and had been using 70 grains of 3F with a .530 patched (.018) round ball. Not bad groups for this not-so-great shooter.
But I decided to add five grains more to my powder load and was very surprised at the groups I got with just that small adjustment.
This was my target at 30 yards on a bench. Not clover-leafs yet, but getting there...
Its fun when things like this happen :cool:

Attachments

• Group 75 grains.jpg
    Group 75 grains.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 156
Not sure how many you want but I have a box in the basement I can stick your name on if you want some and PM me your ad. Otherwise there are some on Gunbraker for sale but the price with shipping isnt very user friendly.
Thanks Al- Very generous of you! I just saw them also now available at Track of the Wolf. I will probably get some later down the line- I want to work with the 530's a while more, out to 50 and 75 yards first to see how they fly.

I have been enjoying shooting my .54 flintlock of late and had been using 70 grains of 3F with a .530 patched (.018) round ball. Not bad groups for this not-so-great shooter.
But I decided to add five grains more to my powder load and was very surprised at the groups I got with just that small adjustment.
This was my target at 30 yards on a bench. Not clover-leafs yet, but getting there...
Its fun when things like this happen :cool:
This is great. Good job.

It's the same when changing brands of powder. I stay with the same charge but switch to Scheutzen powder from Goex for a similar result in the 50 cal. But Goex is / was much cheaper, and US made.

I spent a lot of time playing with my Zouave this summer to be ready for a shot on a deer this fall (successful). I know the limit of my shooting with most of my MLs is my vision rather than the gun. I chose to work with a 570 ball, .015 prelubed patches and wads as necessary. Used OE 1.5F and CCI musket caps. I could have played around with other combinations, but the starting load showed promise so I left it at that. Groups got better and better as I worked up to 75 grains and tightened a little bit with an over powder wad. Anything 80 or more and they rapidly started to fall apart. I felt 75 grains was plenty of whomp for a deer so I didn't try to find another accuracy node at higher charges. If anything, 75 was perhaps a bit much power given the amount of damage to the small doe.

Gosh Bob, if I had known you wanted cloverleaf's I'd have come right over and shot a few for you.......you know I can do it too........

Generally, bigger bores like bigger charges for accuracy. 70grs for 45cal and 80grs and up for 50 cal
and up. Each gun is different and you need to work your loads up on paper to see what is best.
5 grains can make a big difference, especially with longer barrels when the load is powder
starved to reach accurate velocities.

Back