• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What’s Your Favorite Long Gun that You own.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1925, when he was 9 years old my Dad got a Potsdam musket that had been the property of an elderly gent who passed on. The man's widow gave it to Dad. In 1983, two years before Dad died of cancer, he gave it to me because I'd always admired it. In due time I'll pass it to my son, who already knows the backstory. Should be in the family for a long time to come.

Don't have a lot to choose from. I got the beater percussion .50 I started with. Then I bought a pedersoli kentucky .32 in flint. Still fighting with it to get it shooting the way I would like.

Put a kibler colonial together over a couple weeks recently. Was kind of a rush job cause I wanted it ready for hunting season. Which is fine I'm not a big fan of all the carving and such on a working gun.
IMG_20221130_135807_041.jpg

It's a .58 smoothbore and seems to shoot everything about as good as I can. In fact I seem to be the limiting factor. I have issue seeing that front sight and getting it on the target in the same place everytime if it's not cloudy.

IMG_20221127_131804_141.jpg
last sight confirmation before season. The two real low were a different gun at a lower square. Two in the top hole in the black. So those 4 are in an inch and a half or so at 50. I'm sure the high one was my inability to aim in the same spot. One shot with 80ffg goex two with 90ffg goex and one of the two in the same hole was 70 fffg goex just out of curiosity. All with a .010 patch of cheap Walmart "fat quarter" cotton cloth 50/50 beeswax olive oil lube and a .562 ball.

Skycheif load at 30 yards with 70ffg and 90 grs shot looks to be darn lethal so far as well.

I have a TC renegade 54 and a TC 50. To date, I’ve been using the renegade. As far as which is my favourite, the Jury is still out on that one. I like the renegade as I have a 1-66 twist barrel that shows promise.

That's a unfair question. I like all mine. Ok my current favorite is a traditions Shenandoah .36 rifle cap lock. The other is my Ruger Old Army revolver. I don't have any pictures ill add them later.

This question is kind of like asking me to name my favorite child. Not at all fair. At least the guns don't complain.

Today I'm going for the last match of the year at my club. It's below freezing so I'm taking my 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle as the larger balls are easier to handle than the 36 caliber balls in my SMR.

Shooting over a log, it's my 45 caliber Hawken rifle with the 1 1/8" barrel.

The choice of favorite just depends on what I intend to do for the day.

I guess if I had to pick a favorite it would be my TVM fusil 20 gauge. I like my others for specific purpose like deer hunting or squirrel hunting etc. The fusil will do it all. She's taken squirrel, rabbit, grouse, woodcock, coyote, ducks, geese and deer. You can't beat that for an all around gun

Attachments

• KIMG1999.JPG
    KIMG1999.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I don’t have too many, 5 total. Of which 3 are percussion and 2 are flint. When my SMR is built that will make 6, but doesn’t count now. Of those I have the favorite is my Pedersoli Flint Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle in .50 cal. I’ve tuned it and it’s just a pleasure to shoot, well balanced, and dependable.
What are your favorites?
Of all the rifles and pistols I own, it all comes down to my Crockett .32. In my hands it always puts the RB on the spot.

This is easy to answer for me - and the answer is different than I would have given a few months ago. My favorite rifle is my .62 Jaeger. It has proven to be reliable and accurate. It handles well, is light, and easy to clean. I like the way it looks too.
E4236C2E-7CE2-46B0-8F18-E0B48AFF6922.jpeg

Without a doubt my favorite rifle is a cheap Spanish-made .45 cal Traditions percussion rifle my mother bought me for my 16th birthday. That gun has put more meat on my table than any other. She's ugly, especially that weird two piece stock. But she goes bang every time and I've never heard a squirrel or rabbit complain!

Mine is a Traditions Pa. Rifle that is not a rifle anymore because I had it smooth bored. Now I have a great everything gun. From squirrel to Black Bear I have the right Gun for the job

Simply elegance in 54 cal…Don Getz round bottom rifling 1:75…that barrel sat around here for 25 years…finally made use of it about a year and a half ago…everything is right about this one…It has zero “gonna have to live with it” traits…no quirks or warts to apologize for ’cept for that “too new” look.
(the stock is a reject board cutoff because of the figure…it couldn’t be used in the staircase so it was a freebie.
7095052B-5ACE-4574-A9FC-614A70288533.jpeg
A68EAAFB-DF9F-4FDD-B11B-3602182EF3D3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back