• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What’s your favorite BP substitute.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started shooting muzzle loaders in 1977. In that time I've used them all and have definite opinions about them. I currently use black powder and I will continue to do so until I can't get it anymore. I'm currently working off a can of DuPont 2F from the 60's. Be cause it still burns like it was brad new, and you can't say that about the subs!

Triple 7 is the only sub I will ever consider using again. It works well, cleans up fine, and has a longer shelf life once opened than the others.

Pyrodex should only be used to start bonfires. If you have a can of it, give it to someone you don't like.

The rest - can not be trusted if they've been open for any significant length of time. I've had more misfire and hangfires with these so-called propellants than I ever had with black or T7. When they cost me a number of deer, I switched back to 2F balck powder and left the ignition problems behind me.

Pyrodex should only be used to start bonfires. If you have a can of it, give it to someone you don't like.

I was told by a chemist friend that one of the byproducts in Pyrodex smoke is cyanide gas. It's small enough to not harm people but can do a number on rodents so I decided to get rid of my Pyrodex doing a pogrom against the yard moles. Put Pyrodex in each hole with fuse and let the fun begin. I can say this, no more moles for the last year. I can live with a crater or two. The neighbor was on his porch drinking beer hollering "far in tha hole" as each one went off. Yeah, we had a little too much fun with that......

I’m stocked up with about 20lbs of Goex but I’ve been looking locally for some T7 to try out. I’ve traveled to three states in the last two weeks and hit two different bass pros, a couple Walmart’s and half a dozen mom and pop gun stores. I haven’t ran across a pound of anything. That includes blackpowder or any sub. I saw that cabelas has T7 and they want almost $30 a pound + shipping. You can buy a couple pounds real black + shipping and hazmat cheaper than you can buy two pounds T7 or Pyrodex.

You can buy a couple pounds real black + shipping and hazmat cheaper than you can buy two pounds T7 or Pyrodex
yes you are correct, I paid $29.99 for the pound of triple 7 ffg I bought at runnings the other day. But if It shoots reliably, cleans up good, gets a little bit more velocity, and I can pick up a pound or two every now and then on my 5 min drive from work to home, imagine how joyous and simple life would be.

In the last 30 years and two rifles, I have used only Goex.
Both rifles were flinters, and the first one did not like any subs, so I never tired anything else.

You're right I do depend on finding it at a store..... Whatever you may think not all of us can just dump $150 dollars on powder. I need things like food and gas and often I can't afford a pound even when I find it. Hoping things will start getting better now that my son is in school and the wife's back to work. But saying we should just "man up" is fairly insulting..... I'm manning up Everytime I buy kids clothes or medicine or any number of other things my family requires.... Spending a large sum of money on powder is selfish...... So pardon me while I continue to "man up" at work for at least 6 more hours so my family can have the essentials......
I'd like to add that in addition to the cost of a large quantity - some of us live in states that strictly control the amount of powder (any type) and even add into the 5 lb limit the weight of caps and primers so even ordering in bulk to split up amongst other shooters can ger your keister tossed in jail.

Could possibly be that they were pellets, more than the fact that they were Pyrodex. Since the pellets are not in a sealed container they have a short shelf life. I never understood the logic of using pellets
Marketing!

I will make a suggestion if you are have problems with ignition of the substitute you are shooting, get a nipple like the Hot Shot (or one similar) nipple in the threading for your rifle. They put more spark through the flash channel using #11 caps. They were developed because of difficult ignition with Pyrodex using a standard Black Powder nipple. The substitutes have a higher ignition temp compared to Black Powder. Track of the Wolf carries them. DANNY

Back