What’s acceptable?

Discussion in 'War of 1812' started by oddguy, Nov 14, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 14, 2018 #1

oddguy

oddguy

oddguy

32 Cal.

I know this has probably been discussed before( likely many times). But I’m brand new in the reenacting world and will be reeancting with a militia unit this upcoming season and want to know what is acceptable facial hair for a man in a militia unit? I know most men even militia were clean shaven, but for a volunteer unit? Does my beard have to go?

Le Loup likes this.
  2. Nov 14, 2018 #2

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

50 Cal.

I used to do 1812 at Fort Osage. Over the years, I did various impressions. The one I did longest was as a musician in the Regular Army. And yes, the beard had to go. Even the Missouri Territorial Militia reenactors at the fort were clean shaven, except for the very fashionable side burns. Ask the unit commander where you are.

3. Nov 14, 2018 #3

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

It will be up to your unit. Beards were always on men’s faces at any time, but... they were not always in style, and most men didn’t wear them at the time. Most units had a barber who did the shaving, mostly twice a week.

4. Nov 15, 2018 #4

Le Loup

Le Loup

Le Loup

32 Cal.

You have to bare in mind oddguy that in living history/reenactment today the priority is focused on "the common man". What most people are trying to avoid is having a relatively non common thing used by everyone & his/her dog! However, then as now there were individuals who were not common. Imagine an individual that spent most of his/her time living in the woods, very little contact with other white people except when needing to trade. Would they bother to shave? They might & they might not. Women wore men's clothing, would you count that as being common dress for a woman? No of course not but some women did wear men's clothing in the woods.
    More on beards here: https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/search?q=beards
    Keith.

Artificer likes this.
  5. Nov 15, 2018 #5

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon Supporting Member

In addition to Keith's (and Spence 10's earlier documentation in other threads) on beards in the time frame; there were also original accounts of some men with beards at Fort Wayne, IN up to, during and after the War of 1812. Besides the soldiers who had to be shaved at least twice a week, the Federally Appointed Indian Agent was clean shaven; though one or two of his workers wore beards. Scouts/Free Traders and other civilians showed up from time to time with beards, though some shaved once they got to that tiny outpost of civilization in the Old Northwest Territory.

Gus

6. Nov 15, 2018 #6

oddguy

oddguy

oddguy

32 Cal.

Thanks guys,all great info.