• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What’s a “ball block” for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lubed 50 cal. balls, put them into a 1"x3' pine board, cut the patches on the board and used them months after with good results, just bore the holes in the board a dab over your bore size. I still have a board full of balls in my possibles bag, that are 5 years old that look like they will load and shoot, I think they are lubed with petroleum jelly. I have the ten round broad fastened to a fairly long leather shoestring and tied onto the possibles bag....If you have ever used one you won't ever go back to having loose balls. Ha!Ha!

Last edited:
BillinOregon, was not mineral oil also referred to as sweet oil I like this as a lubricant in small amounts in lock workings. Perhaps if this is so the date for it could even be earlier, pure speculation on my behalf

Also as to the original question WHATS A BALL BLOCK FOR it makes us think and debate the origins not only the use. Gives us oldsters something to worry each other with.

Can't argue with Mel Gibson. :)

Still going to throw a plug in there for paper cartridges. :cool:

Wait!, They sit in a wooden block too :oops:
No way that's just a coincidence.
IMG_0243.JPG

But my paper wrapped cartridges fit loosely in the wooden cartridge block. Only have the one paper cartridge (blank charge) and it slipped out of the belly box.

Full disclosure, I do have a loading block. One loading block for my smoothbore has a ball with a dimple from ball puller. Helps to remind me, "Powder First".

View attachment 36254
But my paper wrapped cartridges fit loosely in the wooden cartridge block. Only have the one paper cartridge (blank charge) and it slipped out of the belly box.

Full disclosure, I do have a loading block. One loading block for my smoothbore has a ball with a dimple from ball puller. Helps to remind me, "Powder First".

It's not that much of a logical leap to imagine looking at one and conceiving of the other.

I use a different take on the same thing. For hunting I use a three or five hole block. With patched and prelubed balls. I lube with olive oil. And paper cartridges loaded with powder only. My short starter stays in the empty hole left from loading the first shot. The block and starter go in my bag along with my paper cartridges of powder. When reloading I reach into the bag and grab the block and a cartridge in one hand full. Tear the cartilage with my teeth. Pour it down the bore then start the next ball through the block. Then ram it down. Prime with a separate gizzie. And were ready to go. It takes a bunch less time than typing this😊 BJH
It's not that much of a logical leap to imagine looking at one and conceiving of the other.

When I built my Centermark TFC I sent off to Track of the wolf for some supplies at about the same time. They had a six shot ball board in their catalog for a .62 and I got one.
Do you know how much a maple board with six 20 sage balls weighs?
If’n you don’t kil the bar you can beat him to death with it.

I’ve seen these around but can’t figure out what the benefit is in using one? Or maybe a better question is why would you use one? Is it for ease of use at the range or do guys actually carry one around when they are hunting? Probably elementary to most but it’s got me scratching my head...

I'VE GOT IT!

A ball starter is for starting arguments! ;)

I use ball boards most of the time. I will cut at the muzzle when in the mood but never for hunting. If they go back to 1840 i'm good with that. I use bear tallow for patch lube and it stays on the patch for a long time on the board. If you're drying out the lube on your boards. You aren't shooting enough.

The boards are not only faster but take the place of a ball bag, lube patching material, and a patch knife. That gives me more room in the possible bag for snacks. Plus, no dealing with greasy patch material. It's a no-brainer for me.

Not PC? That's pretty hard to prove.

I was a thinkin on making one today just for something to do, lazy day that does not happen too often around here. As to the room in the possible bag for snacks I like that ideal, some of the better naps and say picnics I have had was in a deer stand never can have too many snacks.

I was a thinkin on making one today just for something to do, lazy day that does not happen too often around here. As to the room in the possible bag for snacks I like that ideal, some of the better naps and say picnics I have had was in a deer stand never can have too many snacks.

Yes, and my hunting is hiking all over the Rockies at high altitude. Plenty of calories burned and I can never eat enough.

Done that last Oct. in Wyoming chasing prairie goats was hungry all the time and the fellow I was hunting with well he is a chow hound any way. had to hump two bags for the snacks.

I use ball boards most of the time. I will cut at the muzzle when in the mood but never for hunting. If they go back to 1840 i'm good with that. I use bear tallow for patch lube and it stays on the patch for a long time on the board. If you're drying out the lube on your boards. You aren't shooting enough.

The boards are not only faster but take the place of a ball bag, lube patching material, and a patch knife. That gives me more room in the possible bag for snacks. Plus, no dealing with greasy patch material. It's a no-brainer for me.

Not PC? That's pretty hard to prove.
It's not proving they're not PC, it's proving they ARE.😉

It's not proving they're not PC, it's proving they ARE.😉

Kind of what I found too. I've tried both ways. Boards and cutting at the muzzle. They both work fine and I believe both are correct. They had the same choice back in the day. Choose the way you like and have fun.

I have and like them but don't use one very often. I do like the idea of sprue position consistency with a board. I never liked the idea of them out of the bag though and collecting dirt and dust to be rammed down bore. The greased patches are particularly bad about this but the dry lubed will collect it as well.

Last edited:
Carbon 6 said:
I use a different take on the same thing. For hunting I use a three or five hole block. With patched and prelubed balls. I lube with olive oil. And paper cartridges loaded with powder only. My short starter stays in the empty hole left from loading the first shot. The block and starter go in my bag along with my paper cartridges of powder. When reloading I reach into the bag and grab the block and a cartridge in one hand full. Tear the cartilage with my teeth. Pour it down the bore then start the next ball through the block. Then ram it down. Prime with a separate gizzie. And were ready to go. It takes a bunch less time than typing this😊 BJH

That's a misquote. :rolleyes:
let's fix it.

Last edited:
I really like using bullet boards for pretty much the same reason I like using a capper instead of handling individual caps. When I'm not using a bullet board I swipe a patch strip across the lube, place it on the muzzle, press the ball in place, and trim. I "load" the bullet board the same way. I've found a 5/16"-thick board grips a .490" PRB securely with enough protruding from the back side to locate it on the rifle muzzle.

I use an olive oil/beeswax lube at a 5:4 ratio. It's about the consistency of chapstick. It works well when it's hot (it was 90 when I took this photo) and it's great in winter. I use it sparingly -- just a swipe of the patch strip while pressing with my thumb. I find no difference in performance from a PRB that's been in the board for a few weeks to one I cut at the muzzle.

Even with this light lube, which is just enough for a smooth slide down the barrel when seating, I never swab. I attribute this to my exclusive use of Black MZ, which is really clean. When the supply I hoarded when I found it was being discontinued runs out I'll probably have to change my ways. Until then, though, I'm a happy camper.

Bullet-Board-small.jpg

Back