• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What’s a “ball block” for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to not use ball boards and ball starters anymore. I know my cleaning is PC and i'll make my loading the same way. I'm not convinced ball boards were around for the fur trade era which is my era, so I won't use one. I know ball starters weren't.

I know i'm not wrong doing it as i'm doing it now. I wasn't sure before.

Appreciate all the replies. My question was “what are they for”, but I think a better question would have been “what’s the advantage or disadvantage”. I can see where they might be handy at the range so everything is ready to go and more organized. Kinda like having powder loads already pre measured in tubes.

I guess I’ll have to use one sometime when hunting to see if it suits me or not? Not sure it’s any better/worse than using some kind of speed loader or simply having a load in your pocket? I can kinda see a possible advantage but need to try it to be sure.

Mine I use for hunting only, I can count for competition. My 40 has three balls and my 54 has two. The balls and patch are proud at the bottoms and are self centering on the bore. I do not use a short starter just the rod on the gun.

However I do not use the 'One push of the rod" That IMHO is very stupid and may get you a trip to the ER to remove the rod from your hand or arm.

Sorry if not HC I shoot guns of the period using the best stuff I can that seems to be possible but I am not a historian nor do I play dress up and pretend. Ball blocks here are not in the re-enactor section so that is my answer

I've decided to not use ball boards and ball starters anymore. I know my cleaning is PC and i'll make my loading the same way. I'm not convinced ball boards were around for the fur trade era which is my era, so I won't use one. I know ball starters weren't.

I know i'm not wrong doing it as i'm doing it now. I wasn't sure before.
Loading mallets were issue to European Rifleman before Napoleonic wars and ball boards unknown just suddenly there.
Your on a right track by not using them, as even if we can absolutely prove them not every one had one.
Pickups are common on the road today, and SUVs, on our waterways there are plenty of kayaks but far from everyone owns one, or enjoys our roads or waterways with them.
I think sometimes we try and force a uniformity on the past that never existed.
There were fops with the latest clothing and men who were out of style, guys that bought the latest gun and fifty or sixty years old with the gun they bought in their youth.

Latest posts

Back