• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wet black powder dried out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read but not tested for myself that BP gotten wet can be dried out and then shot but does loose some of it's potency. Has any one tested this out to know what the real score is ? I do have a chronograph and could find out I suppose but it sure would save me some time if someone has already done the work.

i routinely wet powder to rescreen into a different size. been doing it for 60 years. did a batch today from fffff to fff.
once dried it has the some potency . if you don't dry powder on a surface like paper no chemical is lost.
paper will absorb potassium nitrate out of the mix. makes good paper cartridges, but will change the parent powder, making it weaker.

i routinely wet powder to rescreen into a different size. been doing it for 60 years. did a batch today from fffff to fff.
once dried it has the some potency . if you don't dry powder on a surface like paper no chemical is lost.
paper will absorb potassium nitrate out of the mix. makes good paper cartridges, but will change the parent powder, making it weaker.
How wet do you get it and how do you dry it?

I've never been "victimized" by the powder wetting troll. I have had powder that clumped up some but came back around when I shook the can. Black powder and water don't mix....well they actually DO but powder has to be nice and dry for shooting. :doh:

Back