• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Western PA. Glad to be here. Ready to learn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith Justice has a gun shop in Clarion . Had health issues , not sure if it is still open. He does muzzleloader stuff primarily.

Hello all! We've been deer hunting in W. PA with flintlock kit guns since the late 70s. I'm a very practical hunter with a deep appreciation for the full-scale traditional side of the sport, but really don't have the time or budget to explore the more traditional approach. I wear the same hunting gear I wear for archery and rifle season, use a nylon butt pack as a possibles bag, etc. Up to this time our gear has been very "practical" vs. traditional (plastic speed loads, etc.). I am exploring building more advanced kits to make heirloom pieces for our sons and grandkids. As a soon-to-be retiree from civilian life, I'm looking deeper into building out more traditional rifles. Looking forward to learning more, sharing ideas, and the process of respectfully sharing from our various perspectives.
This is my Dad’s biggest buck from back in 1936 in Venango County, PA taken with a Winchester model ‘94 chambered in Win 32 Special.

Attachments

• 73DF35CD-3B21-4915-AA47-162FB20C5DC0.jpeg
    73DF35CD-3B21-4915-AA47-162FB20C5DC0.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 0
Hello all! We've been deer hunting in W. PA with flintlock kit guns since the late 70s. I'm a very practical hunter with a deep appreciation for the full-scale traditional side of the sport, but really don't have the time or budget to explore the more traditional approach. I wear the same hunting gear I wear for archery and rifle season, use a nylon butt pack as a possibles bag, etc. Up to this time our gear has been very "practical" vs. traditional (plastic speed loads, etc.). I am exploring building more advanced kits to make heirloom pieces for our sons and grandkids. As a soon-to-be retiree from civilian life, I'm looking deeper into building out more traditional rifles. Looking forward to learning more, sharing ideas, and the process of respectfully sharing from our various perspectives.
Welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina. I grew up in Western New York, but spent a lot of time in my wayward youth hunting in what included what I would call Western Pennsylvania, from around Saint Marys to the Allegheny Forest area. Beautiful place to hunt.

And no need to apologize for the gear you wear while hunting. Proudly use and wear what you have. You don’t have to check in with anybody before you go afield.

Looking forward to hearing about your hunting adventures.

Since you're in Clarion PA.....you should consider attending the FREE Pioneer Flats Shootout held in Franklin PA in September. You get to plink for free all day long at 18 different metal targets. You even have the opportunity to try other's guns.
It is a VERY fun weekend.

Regardless...welcome from Kentucky.

Since you're in Clarion PA.....you should consider attending the FREE Pioneer Flats Shootout held in Franklin PA in September. You get to plink for free all day long at 18 different metal targets. You even have the opportunity to try other's guns.
It is a VERY fun weekend.

Regardless...welcome from Kentucky.
Thank you! I've never even heard of this event!

Thank you! I've never even heard of this event!
1/2 of the steel targets are larger and the other half are smaller. The woods walk course is set up in a county park generally 20-25 yards on the other side of a little creek. The whole weekend is designed for the new shooter and old timers like me too. I want the new shooters to be able to hit the targets .... hopefully getting them hooked in the hobby. This event is completely 110% FREE. There are no entry fees, no scoring, no prize money, etc. for a new shooter to be intimidated by.
I load up the GPR rifle and the Great Plains pistol well over 125-140 times that weekend for others to shoot.....free of charge. I look for all the fun I can find to post on these videos. Lots of the shooters below are brand new to the hobby. If you're interesting in shooting with us, I'll remind you in August when I get the exact date for the 2023 event.
Here is the 2nd and 3 videos made of this outing from last fall....Enjoy:

Last edited:
Back