• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Were percussion single shots carried capped?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t remember where I got it but about 25 years ago I bought a machined brass nipple cover with an O ring inside and a hole for a leather thong through the top. The O ring keeps it from falling off and keeps water out as well. Lower the hammer on the cover and just give it a quick tug on the thong after you cock the hammer and it falls to the side and you’re good to go. One of the more simple and efficient tools I’ve seen.
October Country carries a nipple and cap over so a rifle or single shot pistol can be safely carried with a cap on the nipple. Comes with an o-ring so it is water resistant as well.

I noticed that quite a few original Target rifles didn't have a half cock. I would think because you just capped at full cock then fired

I sometimes do this with my repro military rifles and muskets, if I'm pointed downrange I'll just full cock it and cap it. Then aim and fire
I have a number of them which I shoot at the range and in matches. "Speed locking" is not a new idea, and on a number of them the hammer will barely clear the nipple enough to insert a cap.

I have a number of them which I shoot at the range and in matches. "Speed locking" is not a new idea, and on a number of them the hammer will barely clear the nipple enough to insert a cap.
People apparently used to "cheat" at Skirmishes by installing Trapdoor tumblers in 1861 Springfield rifles and somehow the hammer would fall from the 2nd click and be like a target hammer

I was always curious if anyone used a safety device such as a cylinder made out of wood to go around the nipple. Draw pistol, cock hammer vertically (wood cylinder falls off), ready to take care of business.
As shown here before, I turned a bronxe ‘cap cover’ that sits on the barrel and is chained to the forearm. Requires one hand and no visual input to get the thing smoking, this is a Billinghurst style action with no half cock.

E71C93FC-000B-4546-9C13-489ED0848986.jpeg
and no visual input to get the thing smoking
E71C93FC-000B-4546-9C13-489ED0848986.jpeg

I am also in agreement that if they had their gun loaded, the it was capped and on halfcock. To me it makes no sense to not have it capped. I was thinking of the little pocket guns. When at the gambling table, are you going to pull that derringer out of your pocket and cap it before pointing it at your problem?

Now having something to help protect the cap was probably done, but not widespread though. I do have a leather frizzen cover on my flintlock rifle. It is easy to flick off when needed. But I don’t think that I really need it though.

Has anyone yet mentioned AD'd from just snagging hammer on brush and stuff in the field? Can happen at every cock position and may damage sear as well
That famous YouTube hunter blew 2 of his fingers off carrying a Hawken "African style" or whatever it is, with the rifle over his shoulder and his hand over the muzzle. He had the hammer I assume on half cock or down on a cap and the hammer snagged on a branch and fired the rifle

On the Oregon Trail there were numerous recorded incidents of injury or fatalities when someone pulled a loaded muzzle loading from the muzzle out the tail end of a wagon. It was obviously capped or primed. I hunt with muzzle loading shotguns and am constantly checking to see if the cap is on the nipple. Carried at half cock and cocked when pheasant or grouse flushes.

as for a six shot revolver, with only 5 chambers loaded, why did they make them with six chambers? I think that it is a modern thing for safety. back in the day you needed all the shots that you could get. jmho.
I would think they were just from the practicality of keeping them water tight and instantly ready for use. Who wants to fumble with caps in an emergency?

They might have done it as I do... Capped with a small piece of soft leather over the cap with the hammer resting on it. Can't go off accidentally but when the hammer is cocked the leather falls away. Mine is attached to the trigger guard so it is not lost.

If the cap fit on the nipple a bit loose, I pinch the sides a little to make it fit tight enough so as not to lose it, and have the hammer on half cock

Back