• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well, slap my face!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Wag

40 Cal
Reaction score
I haven't been slapped since my mom finished me off in Jr high.

So, I'm not familiar with 'cheek slap' from
Muzzleloader shooting.

Please explain the phenomenon.

Jim in La Luz
šŸ˜Ž

If a gun has a comb without enough drop at the nose or a strep upward angle to the comb, heavy charges with heavy balls can concentrate recoil on oneā€™s face instead of shoulder.

Some NW trade guns or Carolina guns lack enough drop overall and some French fusils and Lehigh rifles have such a sloped or angled comb that felt recoil to the face is severe. A difference of 1/4ā€ drop at the nose of the comb can make all the difference.
If a small caliber gun, itā€™s not an issue.

I haven't been slapped since my mom finished me off in Jr high.

So, I'm not familiar with 'cheek slap' from
Muzzleloader shooting.

Please explain the phenomenon.

Jim in La Luz
šŸ˜Ž

Cheek slap can have a number of possible causes, with most relating to stock fit.

For those who experience cheek slap:

Pitch is the first thing to check.
Pitch is the angle formed by the butt and the barrel -should be close to 90 degrees.
To check it, watch how the butt makes contact with the shoulder as the gun is being mounted.
If the bottom toe of the butt makes contact well before the top of the recoil pad, you have identified at least one cause of cheek slap.

Another possible cause is how the shooter's cheek makes contact with the comb.
Is the shooter's head and neck in an erect and naturally upright posture when shooting ?
If the shooter has to lean the neck forward and tilt the head back to put their cheek on the comb, it encourages cheek slap.

Too much cheek pressure on the comb encourages cheek slap, as can raising the cheek off the comb during shooting.

If the length of the buttstock stock is correct, when the gun is mounted, there should a distance of 1" to 1.25" between the shooter's nose and the second knuckle of the trigger-hand thumb.
If there is much more separation than that, the stock is too long, and should be shortened one-quarter of the excess separation.

i had double barrel 12 gauge percussion in the 80s that would turn your cheek to hamburger. a few people tried shooting it and they had the same bad experience. i tried lengthening the stock with one of those padded slip on recoil pads, it made no difference. after about a year of trying holding it different and changing my shooting positions i had to sell it. unshootable. it was a long time ago, not sure of the brand.

Well I never . . .

Thank you Rich and Pietro
Your explanation and examples are helpful

I did some more reading about the form and function of the gunstock
There's more to it than I realized

Jim in La Luz
šŸ˜Ž

The angle of the buttplate in relation to the line of the bore can cause the rifle to ride up your arm/shoulder and bang your cheek.

Here's a real head smacker right here.

Attachments

• chucks old blunderbuss.JPG
    chucks old blunderbuss.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I shot a Fusil De Chase one time, that was enough for this country boy.
I didn't load it and I'm convinced I was set up...I didn't cry or drop the gun, but I didn't think it amusing either.

I have it on authority from an old timer most Fusil' kick like that if loaded heavy.

I don't care for the 'Roman Nose ' look, I guess that's a good thing.

I shoot a FDC and have determined that if Iā€™m not keeping my cheek firmly on the stock when I fire it bumps my cheek bone. Keeping the cheek where it belongs in a snug weld no problem.
I learned to pay attention to form.
LBL

Latest posts

Back