• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well, she's finished!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have an empty feeling when the project is finished?

Maybe just a little. For the past couple of weeks its been apply this, sand that, scale this, reapply that -- basically every single day (sometimes several times a day)!

But there is still plenty to do. I'm a shooter, a hunter, a reloader and a bass fisherman! I've neglected these other passions while working on the rifle. I'll be occupied for a while looking for the perfect, spot on, jam-up, drop dead load for the gun, and unless I find one that puts five shots touching each other in the bull at 100 yards, I will not be satisfied. I've got 400, .54 caliber balls, and may need more to hunt with next fall, unless I get lucky and find a load combo that sorta, kinda, may be acceptable, pretty fast.

On an aside, I will be hunting this coming fall on a tract of land that has a fairly healthy black bear population. If given the opportunity, I will shoot one with the Kibler (one of the reasons I went with a .54). Taking a bear with a flintlock, rendering its fat, and producing enough grease and oil to lube my bullets and guns for the rest of my life is one of my bucket list items.

One needs to keep his goals out in front of him, don't ya know! :thumb:

Problem solved. Just a few passes with 60 grit, 150, then 220 to smooth her up and she works like a charm! May be a little tight, but that's not necessarily a bad thing on a woods rifle.
I had to do the same thing. It was still a little tight but it gets easier to remove as you use it.

I recommend leaving the ramrod out after cleaning as whatever moisture is down in those recesses will cause that tip to rust.

My new Kibler Colonial .54 is headed to the range today for the first time -- warts and all (I know where they are, but I'm not going to point them out).

Only issue now is the ramrod sticks to the point of only being able to pull it out with a pair of vice grips. Been trying to heat it and bend it straight all morning with little success.

BTW, I did NOT order the rifle with upgraded wood. This is Jim's version of standard wood. I'm very pleased!

View attachment 72715View attachment 72716View attachment 72717
Beautiful

Back