• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well, she's finished!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
My new Kibler Colonial .54 is headed to the range today for the first time -- warts and all (I know where they are, but I'm not going to point them out).

Only issue now is the ramrod sticks to the point of only being able to pull it out with a pair of vice grips. Been trying to heat it and bend it straight all morning with little success.

BTW, I did NOT order the rifle with upgraded wood. This is Jim's version of standard wood. I'm very pleased!

1618230517476.png
1618230600275.png
1618230663552.png

Problem solved. Just a few passes with 60 grit, 150, then 220 to smooth her up and she works like a charm! May be a little tight, but that's not necessarily a bad thing on a woods rifle.

Nice enough to ride the river with - AND, I'm likin' that fiddleback figure in the wood grain.

Does that rifle have any finish on the stain? Looks a little dull to me, but maybe you want it that way.

The finish is Minwax Antique Oil. It's a very low luster oil finish that a lot of builders of custom hunting rifles are starting to use for its lack of reflection properties. It's already got six coats on it. I will get a little shinier with each additional coat.

I agree with Brit might want too take the ram rod down in size a tiny bit more and really water protect it, if hunting in damp or wet weather it could swell in the thimbles. Nice looking rifle.

Won't be any range photos today. I totally forgot that the range I use is closed on Mondays. Got there and found it locked up tighter than a drum. Fortunately, it's only 20 minutes from the House. I'll leave all my stuff (minus the rifle) in the truck and get an early start there in the morning.

Back