• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Well, now I've done it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just ordered a Southern Mountain Rifle "kit" from Pecatonica. I built 3 rifles from kits back like 40 years ago. They were cheap kits and came out OK. I recently refinished the CVA Kentucky flintlock rifle. You guys have inspired me to bigger things. I have always wanted a "real" long rifle. I wanted a Southern Mountain rifle and really thought about the Kibler but I plan on trying to hunt with it and his only go up to .45. I wanted a .50 (need at least .50 for elk in Idaho) Not to mention a 2-3 month wait. I ordered a .50 cal with a swamped barrel. They only had two stocks in stock, a cm4 and a cm5. I had thought for a first real gun I might start with a cm2 maybe a 3. The cm4 they had already had the lock inlet and it was done maybe .060 too deep but can be shimmed with little effort. They had it in stock and knocked off $100 so I could get it for less than the cm3. They are going to double check that the lock is inlet in the correct position for the touch hole. After the stock work for the swamped barrel is done, it should ship the end of next week. Can't wait to start. Thanks for all the help and instruction now and in the future.

Good luck to you. I am finishing my first build. I have learned more about finishing metal, wood, inletting and what not to do, than any other project I've done in my shop. Mine is a kibler SMR in 40.

Well the rifle shipped on the 18th (over 2 weeks ago) and is "lost" in the Postal system. :doh:I asked Pecatonica to file a lost mail search today. I hope that helps. The tracking stopped on the 21st in Elk Grove Village IL and for a few days it kept updating saying "in transit". That stopped on the 25th with no change since, Fingers crossed that maybe I can build this. The good news is, I haven't screwed anything up yet.

UUUUUGGGGHHHHH. That stinks. Yes. You haven't screwed anything up yet. Don't worry. There's still time. :thumb:
Looks like its on them to find it or re ship it. As long as you are protected financially, it a hassle but not a loss.
I did one a couple of years ago. Had issues, but shoots great.

They said they would take care of me but just not sure when. Also I probably won't get a deal on the stock that I got.

What is it with this postal system? I just had a member mail me a rear sight, the sight never came. Post office claims they have it marked as delivered. Just me and the wife, where did it go?

Cobra 6

Somebody is going HUH? I love our local PO. They put things in my box even if the sender leaves off the Box number. Small town ( pop. 875) I don't know if mine is standing in a corner back in IL or some mail guy took it home.

from what I understand the post office is short handed due to covis 19 trailers sitting with no one to unload them, im waiting for a flintlock pistol that was shipped priory 2 day that was a week ago tracking says IN TRANSIT

Well the rifle shipped on the 18th (over 2 weeks ago) and is "lost" in the Postal system. :doh:I asked Pecatonica to file a lost mail search today. I hope that helps. The tracking stopped on the 21st in Elk Grove Village IL and for a few days it kept updating saying "in transit". That stopped on the 25th with no change since, Fingers crossed that maybe I can build this. The good news is, I haven't screwed anything up yet.
That same thing happened to a Hawken rifle that I sold to somebody. It was lost in the mail for over a month and then one day the guy said hey the rifle showed up. He said the box was Torn to Pieces the gun had a little bit of damage to it but was fixable. What a nightmare.

It gets interesting even at the mailbox on the street where you live. I've lost count how many packages through the USPS have ended up at a neighbor's house, street number 8621 (probably about 15 houses west of me). Mine is 8521. But I've had good follow up. My neighbor at 8621 is the former USPS manager for our zip code range, retired, and for exercise, he walks my mail over here.

I wish my .50 cal pistol would have gone to his house. When "delivered" (that's what tracking said), I didn't get the shipment. So I chased, via phone, all over the place. It ended up "found" on my next-door neighbor's front porch. Our mailboxes are on the same yard post, and that day I lost on the toss of the coin which house to go to.

Hang in there. It will turn up okay. ~wiksmo

Good luck to you. I am finishing my first build. I have learned more about finishing metal, wood, inletting and what not to do, than any other project I've done in my shop. Mine is a kibler SMR in 40.
I just finished my kibler SMR 40cal. yesterday.
Its time to order the colonial kit next.
Good luck with finishing yours.

Thanks guys. I guess besides frustration, what worries me more is the thought that we may hold an election by mail and trust the Post Office with that! But that is for another forum.

I ordered some from Grafs on the 27th. At that time they said they were going to be slow especially on stuff with Hazmat Fees. Then they said they were working on April 10th orders. Got my shipping info and tracking today. Still no rifle though.

Back