• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Well, it's time I introduced myself

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forty Rod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I started shooting a muzzle loader the morning after I saw Jeremiah Johnson while stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC in 1973. Went out with another Marine and bought a T/C Hawken in .50. A few weeks later I was back at PI and discovered the Low Country Bark Busters who gave me the name Iron Bear.

I shot the T/C until I was assigned to Seal Beach, CA in '75 and started working weekends and time off at The Flintlock at Hobby City in Anaheim. I left the Corps in '78 but I worked full and part time at The Flintlock for the next 12 1/2 years and upgraded to a Lyman Great Plains rifle in about 1978. Our club in those days was the Golden Bears and we did most of out shooting at the old Isaac Walton League range in Placentia.

In '93 I discovered SASS and signed up under the name Forty Rod and the muzzle loaders got put on a back burner until about six months ago when I pulled the .50 down and got her cleaned up again. I'm putting my kit together and will be looking for a local club. I suspect I'll have a lot of questions since so much has changed since I was "an expert" working at a gun shop that sold nothing but muzzle loaders and related truck and duffle.

Welcome :hatsoff: I've been to the Flintlock. It was back in the 70's. I thought it a great place.

Back