• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well, I'm dead (lost flint & steel)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just discovered, in wanting to start a fire last night, that my tinderbox with flint and steel is missing. Cannot find it in any of my bags or gear locations. Rats. Possibly left it beside a firepit or dropped it in the woods.

Now I have to get a replacement for this - which I have carried for many years.

BUT, if it was "for real": It's 25°F outside with 5" of snow on top of wet slush & ice. Tonight I'd possibly be sleeping cold if I couldn't work out enough dry tinder to use the gun's lock and a dry, shredded cotton patch to get a fire going. How simple a thing that could have had fatal consequences to our ancesters.

Yep, I betcha it was the real simple things that caused the death of quite a few frontiersmen back in the day. :( We take to many things for granted nowadays, like a nice "simple" fire to warm ourselfs or cook some food.

Stumpkiller said:
BUT, if it was "for real": It's 25°F outside with 5" of snow on top of wet slush & ice. Tonight I'd possibly be sleeping cold if I couldn't work out enough dry tinder to use the gun's lock and a dry, shredded cotton patch to get a fire going. How simple a thing that could have had fatal consequences to our ancesters.

If that's the only way you know how to start a fire, mebbe so.

But with about 15" of whang cut from your clothing or a lace from your brogan, you have all you need for a fire drill. I find them quicker and easier to use than F&S in our wet climate. No fancy char cloth required.

I worked at a Jamboree for Boy Scouts in a demo area showing five ways to start a fire. The bow-drill method was my least successful. I suppose if I had a dry lower bearing/notch board, or with cedar instead of maple, it would go well, but with green or locally gathered materials I had to improvise.

That is: "Puff, puff. At this point we should get a hot ember . . . pant, pant, much like this one I have from the last station."

The steel wool pad and battery - I'm great with that one!

armakiller said:
Yep, I betcha it was the real simple things that caused the death of quite a few frontiersmen back in the day. :( We take to many things for granted nowadays, like a nice "simple" fire to warm ourselfs or cook some food.

Yes, reminds me of the story (fiction, I'm sure) of the fellow lost and freezing in the snow somewhere. Finds a big old pine tree, gets under, finds a little dry tinder and some wood. With great effort he starts a fire.....the rising heat causes a clump of snow to fall off the branches above right on to the fire...the remains of his body are found sometime in the spring.
For back-up, I do just like the original mountain men did, I also carry a Bic lighter in my pocket. :shocked2: :rotf:

Stumpkiller said:
I suppose if I had a dry lower bearing/notch board, or with cedar instead of maple, it would go well, but with green or locally gathered materials I had to improvise.

And that's key. Around here dry spruce or cottonwood rough-split in the field is a snap. The rough surface does nicely with no fancy notches. But green wood or hard wood? Egad. I don't know your local woods, but something like dry pine split with your knife or ax would amaze you.

And a good point taken that it should be practiced BEFORE the need arises. I'll have to try with the dead branches always found on the lower levels of white pines hereabouts. And the tiny dry twigs under hemlocks are almost ignitable without char-cloth. A nest of these and an ember gets things kicked off.

I don't carry a lighter, but I do keep a Swedish firesteel and usually a Magnesium match with a couple home-made firestraws in my gear "for emergencies"

This is a very good point! Small mistakes can snowball when living in the wild. I have to think that even for the most experienced outdoorsman, it's only a matter of time before nature finds a way to take you.

Trench said:
I have to think that even for the most experienced outdoorsman, it's only a matter of time before nature finds a way to take you.

Good point. And it doesn't have to be any kind of headliner drama.

I used to make my living with a backpack, spending anywhere from 1-2 weeks at a time in the hills alone. Camped by a creek one afternoon and drank lots of water, then went about the business of getting ready for the night.

Within a couple of hours I came down with the worst case of disintary and nausea I've had outside of Asia. Cramped and losing fluids so bad I could barely crawl to the creek for more water, and usually couldn't get a body length away from the creek before losing it all again one way or the other. Bloody bowels and then some.

Three days later things abated enough I started the slow process of walking/crawling out.

About 200 yards upstream I found a major cattle wallow right in the creek, in an area that wasn't supposed to have cattle.

Last time I ever drank untreated water anywhere, any time. I can imagine what would have happened if I hadn't been in peak health and long on persistence.

Another way to start fire is to load a blank with a 3 inch square of cotton towel over 30 or so grn of powder. Point it at the ground and touch that off. You'll have a good ember going on new made char cloth. Try this outside.

How true and it doesn't have to be all about our ancestors. I just watched a TV sports show this past weekend. The host was showing how to start a fire not with a flint and steel mind you, but how to start a fire none the less.
He related a story from the year before when three of his friends got caught out in the mountains of Idaho or Wyo.by a snow storm. They were not able to make it back to camp and none of the tree had a way to start a fire. He said it could have turned into a tragic event.
I would put money on the fact that they did have bullets with powder in them. Not one of them thought about that. From there a spark is doable.
Flint and steel are great but folks need to know the first thing is not to panic. Take stock of what you do have and you may be better off than you think. And it don't hurt to know how to start a fire more than one way and have more than one way to start that fire! :wink:

Stumpkiller said:
Just discovered, in wanting to start a fire last night, that my tinderbox with flint and steel is missing. Cannot find it in any of my bags or gear locations. Rats. Possibly left it beside a firepit or dropped it in the woods.

Now I have to get a replacement for this - which I have carried for many years.

The inner bark of a dead cottonwood, dry of course, all that will fit, with some powder in the FL pan will usually get something going.
But yeah, small things can grow into major problems.

Pulling the load on percussion gun then shooting small charge of powder into some tinder with some powder rubbed on etc will also work.
Rubbing powder on rotten wood etc is mentioned in old writings.

Dan

Rifleman1776 said:
Yes, reminds me of the story (fiction, I'm sure) of the fellow lost and freezing in the snow somewhere. Finds a big old pine tree, gets under, finds a little dry tinder and some wood. With great effort he starts a fire.....the rising heat causes a clump of snow to fall off the branches above right on to the fire...the remains of his body are found sometime in the spring.

I believe that is in one of Jack London's stories, but I couldn't tell you which one at this point.

I often try to start my fires the "old way", but there's usually a modern back-up around somewhere in case Murphy's Law rears its ugly head.

The powder in the rifle rounds is a good point, not sure I would have thought of that if I were a bad situation.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a burning lens yet. My pocket watch has a pop-up magnify lens on the front and I have used it with some success on clear sunny days. While we are on the subject of fire starting, how period correct (let's say for the early 1800's) is the fire piston? I had a friend who gave me one for my birthday, but I have found no mention of it in historical "documentation" (LORD I hate using that word!!)

Any you fellas have info on it?

When the sun's out you don't need a fire. :grin: I don't think this time of year the sun's rays are direct enough to do much.

Those accoutrements were popular in the 70's and 80's (19--) and, supposedly, Ted Cash based his tobacco tin w/lens on an original Hudson's Bay version; probably c.1850.

THe fire piston goes back 100's of years - in Micronesia and Asian Pacifica. Not so sure of US use. Good accessory for a SamPan gun.

PS - found my tinderbox. :rotf:

Was it hiding in plain sight? If nothing else it lead to a good discussion. It may have also lit a fire under my butt to learn various ways to start fire. :thumbsup:

mcsteinscamp said:
Rifleman1776 said:

I believe that is in one of Jack London's stories, but I couldn't tell you which one at this point.

I often try to start my fires the "old way", but there's usually a modern back-up around somewhere in case Murphy's Law rears its ugly head.

The powder in the rifle rounds is a good point, not sure I would have thought of that if I were a bad situation.

I usually carry about three Fire strikers wth me. one in each bag 6and I wear a small one around my neck.
I also keep a friction kit wrapped up as well.

and here's a link to Jack London's story, "To start a fire," one of my favorites:
To start a Fire

I carry my flint & striker in my gun bag, so there is little chance that I can lose it, as I rarely remove my bag/horn when in the woods. Additionally, I carry my flinter, a burning glass and a thong that could be used to make a bow-drill for fire (though this method isn't PC/HC).

I find that I enjoy the challenge of taking ONLY PC/HC items when on the trail. While this may seem extreme to some, I find the modern items unnecessary.

Back