• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well i was not expecting that!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So today was heavy rain, again.
As mid day arrived I set off to visit the same place I spied that fox the other day.
I wasn't after the fox but was after a rabbit that I never fulfilled last visit.
It was still very damp in the air when I happened on a 10yd rabbit and full of ignition doubts I lined up on the rabbits head threading the shot through branches and twigs.
Sure enough the damp slowed the fire. A long whoosh and an eternity to discharge the rabbit actually reacted quick enough to dodge the shot and get to earth at 10yds!
I reloaded again, dried the pan, frizzen and flint.
The wind got up, the sky got brighter, it felt like dryer air. Good I whispered to myself.
As I made my way upstream of running water to my left I saw something big coming my way.
It was Charlie the fox.
He went behind cover, I got ready and as soon as he broke cover on a determined trot I flicked the flintlock through whilst pulling the trigger.
BOOM, no hesitation this time!
I was expecting to see it leg it but no, as the smoke cleared it was piled up but writhing so I released the hound!

20211228_142237.jpg

Great hunt with a great companion. I cherish all the hunts and walks with all the dogs I have been lucky to have been part of my family. Good Jess!

Our coyotes on Cape Cod reminds me of german shepherds. What like 75+ pounds?
I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw that and thought those to be small coyotes. Basing my guesstimate on my 40 to 45 pound Brittany, I'd say most of the coyotes I see around my part of Connecticut are between 60 and 70/75 pounds. Now and then I see one much bigger, sometimes running with the pack of coyotes, but often solo,,,, but the head is shaped a little different. Well, we shouldn't get into that.....
Our red fox are about the size of the one Brit shot.

So today was heavy rain, again.
As mid day arrived I set off to visit the same place I spied that fox the other day.
I wasn't after the fox but was after a rabbit that I never fulfilled last visit.
It was still very damp in the air when I happened on a 10yd rabbit and full of ignition doubts I lined up on the rabbits head threading the shot through branches and twigs.
Sure enough the damp slowed the fire. A long whoosh and an eternity to discharge the rabbit actually reacted quick enough to dodge the shot and get to earth at 10yds!
I reloaded again, dried the pan, frizzen and flint.
The wind got up, the sky got brighter, it felt like dryer air. Good I whispered to myself.
As I made my way upstream of running water to my left I saw something big coming my way.
It was Charlie the fox.
He went behind cover, I got ready and as soon as he broke cover on a determined trot I flicked the flintlock through whilst pulling the trigger.
BOOM, no hesitation this time!
I was expecting to see it leg it but no, as the smoke cleared it was piled up but writhing so I released the hound!
View attachment 111629

View attachment 111628

View attachment 111630
Bloody awesome. Definitely the greyest red fox I've ever seen,and I've seen a heck of a lot. Very cool

Back