• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Well I pulled the trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you recover any balls? These are a lot more work to make than for any rifle. What is the final weight?

With a good back stop I did manage to recover about half of the zinc balls the first time i used them. On another shot, I painted them fluorescent orange and that helped finding them. Some could be fired again as they were but most had to be recast. But you are correct, these are a LOT more work than casting lead for rifles or pistols. The balls weigh about 3 pounds each.

Mr. and Mrs. Miller are stopping by this afternoon to look at my cannon and carriage. They made the carriage for the gun. Super nice folks. Miller Wagon and Carriage Works are the best IMHO.

Cast Cannon balls:

Get the gun to the range and set it up:

The gun in action......

Out of the first 12 rounds fired at a 250 yard target (48 inch black) 8 hit the target and four were near misses (one hit was on a bounce from a shot that was short). The cast ball has way too much windage and I am modifying the ball mold to get a much better fit. We should be able to keep all the rounds in a 4 foot bull at this range.

Who made your barrel?

The barrel in a British light 6 pounder made by Barney's Cannons (Now South Bend Replicas).....The barrel is unlined and was cast and drilled in 1970.

well I hhave alot of fuse but I like friction. but they are 5 bucks each so I will buy a few friction primers. so Need a 3/16'' hole

I made a slap hammer type firing mech. for my 1/2 scale Napoleon. Use's a #209 shotgun shell primer
put in the vent. Works great and not that expensive.

If I were to build one I'd have to shoot real projectiles on my property. I have about 400 yds. of open ground but don't have a clue where you'd get the iron balls that big.
Ask Ms. Winsome Sears.
1637283393378.png

wm

Before the advent of percussion primers, many naval guns had flintlocks for ignition. On many old sailing vessels (USS Constitution, British sailing ships, etc., ) you can see by the vent hole where the flintlocks had been mounted.
We had some sort of friction primer for our ACW cannon, a copper tube inserted in the vent, a loop in it at the top, and a lanyard to snap the primer on command. Have no idea where they were bought.

I like that can you send a pic of it?
The brass one is for the Napoleon, attaches with a 1/4 " bolt under the hammer. The top
mortar is golf ball size with the hammer mounted on it. Bright tube is mortar in progress
will have same. Mortar vents drilled and tapped for brass insert, can use either primers
or fuse. I need to find a mold for it, minimal 1" up to 1.42 ". hard to find, round ball fishing sinkers
are made that size but seems not available at this time, probably a popular size for
black powder fans.
Forgot to mention,, the primer vent needs to be 1/4 " deep enough for it to seat.

1637285570735.png

Last edited:
I think Tanner will make a mold big enough for you. And friction primers are available for about $1 each.....I'll find a link for you. Dixie Gun Works used to sell a slap hammer type lock for cannons....Might check there.

Cast Cannon balls:

Get the gun to the range and set it up:

The gun in action......

Out of the first 12 rounds fired at a 250 yard target (48 inch black) 8 hit the target and four were near misses (one hit was on a bounce from a shot that was short). The cast ball has way too much windage and I am modifying the ball mold to get a much better fit. We should be able to keep all the rounds in a 4 foot bull at this range.

Awesome!
Insanely jealous, I’m loving the British 6, I’m actually just starting the process of looking for makers for barrels and carriages. Unfortunately the lead times are a year plus, trying to get one in hand in the run up to the 250th anniversary of 1775/76 here in Boston.

Awesome!
Insanely jealous, I’m loving the British 6, I’m actually just starting the process of looking for makers for barrels and carriages. Unfortunately the lead times are a year plus, trying to get one in hand in the run up to the 250th anniversary of 1775/76 here in Boston.
it is a quest to strive for. good luck on your quest.

Back