• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Well, I got scammed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some rifles on sale here and with the scamming that's been going on I've had a couple of people ask for specific pictures, etc to verify I'm legit. I was not in the least bit offended, actually expected it and understood the reasons behind it. I'd hate to be scammed and would ask the same question if I was interested in buying from a private seller. So ask the questions of those sellers you're interested in buying from for your own peace of mind, make sure (as much as possible) the seller isn't a scammer.

A USPS money order is nearly as fungible as currency. And you would not send currency through the mails to purchase a rifle or anything else. If a seller insists on a money order I consider it a warning sign and walk away.
If I have learned anything it is patience. I'll send you my check and am happy to wait for it to clear before you ship your merchandise.

On top of what kje54 says, along with others, don't assume that because someone has been here a while that everything is on the up and up. Member accounts have been hacked and used in nefarious ways.

That's a good reason to ensure you've got a strong password - it helps protect your buddies.

Talked to his county sheriff's office, and they told me to work through mine. I'm really hoping something fast can happen; he hasn't actually cashed the MO yet.

He hasn't cashed it yet? Cancel it!

A USPS money order is nearly as fungible as currency. And you would not send currency through the mails to purchase a rifle or anything else. If a seller insists on a money order I consider it a warning sign and walk away.
If I have learned anything it is patience. I'll send you my check and am happy to wait for it to clear before you ship your merchandise.

I do not agree. What warning sign is there?

USPS Money Order has who it is addressed to for the sender and from who sent it for the receiver. It is as good as a Cashiers Check.
No one has to wait on a check to clear, the receiver gets his money immediately and the purchasers does not have to wait around on the seller to do his thing.

I do not agree. What warning sign is there?

USPS Money Order has who it is addressed to for the sender and from who sent it for the receiver. It is as good as a Cashiers Check.
No one has to wait on a check to clear, the receiver gets his money immediately and the purchasers does not have to wait around on the seller to do his thing.
That’s my preferred medium for payment if PayPal isn’t available. And if it seems sketchy at all, PayPal is off the table. There are a bunch of people on this forum I would PayPal money to in a heartbeat…

I look more at where and what they post rather than how often . Also look at how long they have been a member . Mostly Welcome posts or all or most in the for sale are red flags to me .

Luckily, Ive not gotten scammed on any black powder deals. Some items may have not been represented fully, but its me who didnt ask all the questions. I chalked those up as education costs. After all, education isnt cheap.
I have learned long ago that what gets a guy in trouble is his wanting to get something for less than the going rate. Theres always a sense of urgency involved when somethings too cheap. That urgency is usually intensely felt by the buyer. As others stated, slow down and proceed with caution.
What irks me though is how law enforcement is so gung-ho about patrolling the highways, and essentially trapping people who havnt hurt anyone. Theyre superb at hauling them in and making them pay. Yet when it comes to thieves, why theres nothing they can do, they say. I think its due to how pretty much all politicians, and a good share of the law are also thieves, so they sure cant be starting any prosecuting. It might get out of hand in their view.

Conducted a transaction with member Neil55, and he scammed me out of $650. Don't do any business with him!
Got email from him on 17th in response to my wanted post but I ignored it due to previous description of this kind of scam. Sorry you got hit.

Hate to hear when someone get's scammed. Makes me really nervous about buying or selling online. Especially when it's that much money!

I'm assuming you don't have a PayPal account since you payed with a MO? If you do or your wife or other family member does, maybe list the address on here and anyone who feels your pain can kick in a few bucks to get your money back or at least a portion of it? If/ when you get enough donations to cover it, you can just stop accepting anymore from PayPal and post on here that you got all your money back? I'll be glad to kick in a few bucks if you go this route. Sorry this happened to you!

Conducted a transaction with member Neil55, and he scammed me out of $650. Don't do any business with him!
Is this the member? If so, still here. Maybe their account was hijacked? It’s happen here before. Have you given the details to a moderator? @Loyalist Dave @Angie
1635978052163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back