• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Well I did it! (Faux Ivory grips)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

token tory

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Yup, I broke down & ordered as set of them from tombstone grips.

I went with the "aged Ivory" & Pewter bear claw medallions. Now all I have to do is wait for them to be made & then final fit them.

Somehow the (actually nice) wooden grips the '58 Remy New Army came with needed a little "added class."

Be sure and post a photo when they arrive and are properly mounted to the revolver.

Good luck with the new grips and many good "MOJO" shoots for you!

Dave

How good is that faux ivory? I've been wanting elephant or mammoth ivory grips (I can get both in China), but the prices are ridiculous (at least the labor is cheap over there).

For now, I think I'll just fit the grips on my 1851 so they are flush.

Importation of some of those items isn't allowed, depending upon the date of production. The Faux grips are of course allowed. I'm on my first cup of coffee right now, so I'm not sure what else to add.

I have been told that replacement grips for black powder revolvers need to be fit by hand.

Dave

Well when the grips arrive (in about 20~30 days) I'll let you know!

The hand fitting is a known issue, stemming from the variation, even within a brand, of grip profile.

There are at least 4 different grip profiles on file at the vendor & he suggests you double check the model, maker & year of your particular pistol to get as close as possible. Supposedly the Remington 1858 has the widest variation in grip shape, varying year by year within a vendor! There is a suggestion that you send an accurate tracing of the grip panels, or frame to allow for a more detailed fit as well.

He also sells the grips as semi-finished so you can keep the costs down by having the buyer do the detail finishing & final polish.

The Remington replicas have a big variation in grip size. I've fit two sets of Tombstone grips and found them easy to work with. Don't be tempted to use any kind of power tool. I bought a large group of finger nail files, the flexible stick type, from a supply house. Work really good with these grips. I finish sand to 1200grt and polish by hand.

I've found that even the original grips need fitting. Well, this is more so on Pietta Colts.

These fake materials are actually a cast in some high strength resin material. As long as he's had an opportunity to get an original to cast from then the fit is supposed to be close.
He actually lists by brand & model, so in theory at least, a Pietta should be just as close as an Uberti or even a Colt.

smokin .50 said:
Importation of some of those items isn't allowed, depending upon the date of production. The Faux grips are of course allowed. I'm on my first cup of coffee right now, so I'm not sure what else to add.

I have been told that replacement grips for black powder revolvers need to be fit by hand.

Dave

You can get Mammoth Ivory anytime, lots on ebay and several custom grip makers offer it and Elephant if you want to pay for it. I have a pair of Tomestone Faux Ivory grips and my 49' wears faux Ivory grips from Collins custom grips.

Family friends have gotten mammoth ivory dirt cheap from Siberia and Mongolia. One bought three Mongolian daggers. The scabbards and handles on all three were solid mammoth ivory. I think it was like $30 or so a dagger.

Now I've just got to learn how to carve ivory or bring the grip from my 1851 with me next time I go to China and have a local craftsman do it.

Colonialist said:
Displaying results for: 1858 remington .

No grips found.

*sigh* :redface:

Collinscraft? neither was the 49', I sent him an email asking about them and he said I would have to send him the grip frame because he did not have a master for the 49' there or something like that. Mine were the first he had ever done. You order his "kit" and he hand fits it. All I can say is send an email and ask. I forgot now but I think my total was around 80 bucks and I got a pair of beautiful faux Ivory grips.

It's nice that he worked with you that way :bow:
Unfortunately I placed the order with Tombstone & sent the check though, so It'l be for the next time that I use him. :v

Just to show the difference, the top is a Tomestone grip that still needs fitting and final polishing. My 49' on the bottom with Collins Craft grips.

COLT49AND60.jpg

So where did the mounds of ivory come from that are mined? Read about the Siberian and Alaskan reefed up deposits of bones years ago, fascinating stuff.

He did a nice fitting job :thumbsup:

I got lucky today (I think).
No! not that you animals. :blah:

I was in the local craft store, not even looking for anything shooting related, & I found a couple of "pewter" bear paw buttons. They look suspiciously like the bear claw medallions offered (& ordered) from Tombstone Grips :hmm:

So I bought 'em & attached one to the strap of my holster with a pin between the strap & holster body! With a bit of luck the holster wil echo the bear claws on the grip panels. :rotf:

Do searches for Mammoth Ivory, there are companys that just walk the Tundra when they can and find it sticking out of the ground, some is found that way anyway.

Back