• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Well here I go again starting another build! Moravian influenced flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Christian Springs rifle, Modeled after a Andreas Albricht style rifle, .62 cal. took a few liberties with the gun had it mounted in iorn and yes it has a wood patch box. Wide butt and a 44 in swamped barrel. THIS RIFLE WAS A TRANSITIONAL RIFLE FROM THE YEAGERS, Do some research on the Morivian builders theres a good bit of info to be found. Theres a site called cheeries that has a lot of info. pertaining to those style rifles.
Hey AH can you provide a link to that "cheeries" site? I googled it with no luck :(

Jack,
I’ll just add one more thing, and I hope this helps.
barrel length is not as important as breech size. It should be a little larger to help get your wrist, etc right.
Look at Dave’s guns, and you’ll see what I mean.
Also, lock length is not as important as the heigh , again for the panel and wrist shape.
Again, not meant to discourage, only help.
Good luck my friend!

Thanks Flint, but I have done my research using the KRA CDs and the Moravian book II. I found several examples with dimensions that a "Deluxe" Siler lock was a very close match to. While not a perfect match it has a square pan and the size is right. I may do some modifications to get it even closer. I also found several with something around a 42" - 44" barrel. Perhaps you are referring to a Jaeger?

Thanks I do appreciate any and all feedback.

Chambers Deluxe Siler 5 1/4" lock plate
View attachment 140376

Christian's Spring attributed 5" lock plate
View attachment 140377

Andrew Albrecht (#74F3) 5 1/4" long lock
View attachment 140374
William Antes (Attributed):
View attachment 140375
Andrew Albrecht
View attachment 140378
Your lock looks very good next to these originals, should turn out to be a nice gun, good luck!

Hi Jack, Looking for the site I mentoned (cheeries) cannot recall how I found it) as it was a few years back when re-searching the rifle I had built. As to posting pictures would really like to be able to do those type of things, but a bit of computer illeriate here. Will continue to search if I find the site again will let you know.

Jack,
I’ll just add one more thing, and I hope this helps.
barrel length is not as important as breech size. It should be a little larger to help get your wrist, etc right.
Look at Dave’s guns, and you’ll see what I mean.
Also, lock length is not as important as the heigh , again for the panel and wrist shape.
Again, not meant to discourage, only help.
Good luck my friend!
Thanks Flint! Good feedback.

Hi Jack, spent some time hunting the Cheeries site I wrote about no luck guess it was took down, but came across a site called black dog blog spot, lots of info there on the Christian Springs builders.

This is going to be great, I know it.
I hope you will start another topic thread when you start building amd taking pictures, they will get lost here with us already 2 pages in and no shavings on the deck.

Although, I think it is cherries, not cheeries, you are looking for, I remember the site, I thought it was bookmarked, but it isn't on my phone. I will check my laptop later.
I seem to remember it having a non-muzzleloading name. Like Cherries Family Tree or to that effect.

Last edited:
This is going to be great, I know it.
I hope you will start another topic thread when you start building amd taking pictures, they will get lost here with us already 2 pages in and no shavings on the deck.
Hey BN I'm about to start that thread. I started the build today.

Interesting, but, darn it, that isn't the one I was thinking of.
There was one, and I feel I've seen it recently, that had a bunch of history on it. Discussions of historical guns amd other related things. It was something about, cherry/cherries family tree, or something. I seem to recall a discussion about "what is an early rifle," or, "what is a transitional rifle?"

Back