• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Well, hello there! Beginner, checking in from Iowa.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenSmoke

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello! New guy here. I've been an avid shooter of modern firearms for 5ish or so years now, and a renaissance faire participant for many many years in the past. I started out doing the classical medieval fairs, knights and such, but went on to begin doing pirate festivals as well. So i have always had a great interest in history, and now im taking the jump into merging my interests in firearms and history.

I have purchased my very first black powder firearm! It is currently in the mail along with (hopefully) all the supplies i need, for now. It should arrive next week!

See yall around!

These folks are a veritable fount of knowledge- everybody but me that is.

Welcome aboard. Lots of great people here with a lot of information, and a penchant for history.

You should fit right in. :)

Welcome GreenSmoke, from the state of Nebraska. Tell us what you have on order, as long as it is a traditional muzzleloader.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

I have on order a Traditions Hawken Woodsman 50cal. Percussion. I know its got a lot of modern aspects and isnt a historical design, but i like to start with budget options when i get into new things.

I'll be shooting .490 round balls with .018 patches, pre lubed pillow ticking rounds.

Unfortunately, midway (my most trusted online shopping place) is out of black powder for the most part, so i settled with getting some 1f goex for now, until i get my hands on some 2f. I have no idea how thats gonna work out for me, but i couldnt wait any longer, i had to get SOMETHING and i want real black powder. I expect im going to have to deal with fouling much faster, from my research. I have no experience yet.

But ive got all the various equipment i think ill need, nice ball starter, brass range rod, cleaning and worm jags and all that, a brass powder flask, and a brass powder measure, a brass capping tool, a brass nipple pick, i also have a non-period leather military belt pouch i plan to try and carry my shot and patches in, maybe the powder tools if they fit.

Got more ballistol as well. I use it for my modern guns, but i read about moose milk and how water is the best thing for cutting out the fouling, so i wanted to make sure i had plenty ballistol to make the milk and whatnot.

Aye, most of my pirating days were in Wisconsin actually, Port Washington pirate festival. Its been a long while since ive done the fairs though.

Forget Midway. Graf's has the best deal for powder, since they have a low hazmat fee.

I moved from Iowa to Tennessee last year.

There are some great builders in Iowa.

I'd highly recommend looking into building your own fire lock.

Welcome!
I have on order a Traditions Hawken Woodsman 50cal. Percussion. I know its got a lot of modern aspects and isnt a historical design, but i like to start with budget options when i get into new things.

I'll be shooting .490 round balls with .018 patches, pre lubed pillow ticking rounds.

Unfortunately, midway (my most trusted online shopping place) is out of black powder for the most part, so i settled with getting some 1f goex for now, until i get my hands on some 2f. I have no idea how thats gonna work out for me, but i couldnt wait any longer, i had to get SOMETHING and i want real black powder. I expect im going to have to deal with fouling much faster, from my research. I have no experience yet.

But ive got all the various equipment i think ill need, nice ball starter, brass range rod, cleaning and worm jags and all that, a brass powder flask, and a brass powder measure, a brass capping tool, a brass nipple pick, i also have a non-period leather military belt pouch i plan to try and carry my shot and patches in, maybe the powder tools if they fit.

Got more ballistol as well. I use it for my modern guns, but i read about moose milk and how water is the best thing for cutting out the fouling, so i wanted to make sure i had plenty ballistol to make the milk and whatnot.

Aye, most of my pirating days were in Wisconsin actually, Port Washington pirate festival. Its been a long while since ive done the fairs though.

Forget Midway. Graf's has the best deal for powder, since they have a low hazmat fee.

Welcome!

Welcome from across the river. Good thing about this sport is you can make allot of the things you need. Saves some money but a certain pride goes in to using things you make yourself. !f will work although not the best. @f better and some people like 3f better because it usually burns cleaner.

Welcome from a fellow Iowan! What part of the state are you from. I've got an acreage near Bellevue and a home in Clarksville, both small towns few have ever heard of...😉

Welcome!

I had to go look, hadnt ever heard of graf's. They actually want a whole dollar more for hazmat fees than midway wanted. They DO have 2f in stock though... so i might get some anyways

Allow me to correct myself. Grafs wants a dollar more per pound compared to midway, and wants 60 cents more for hazmat. Not enough i particularly care if thats what it takes to get some proper powder

Just a thought here.
This area of the forum is set up for meeting new members. It is really not the place to carry on lengthy discussions about buying powder or similar things.

Talking about things people like and where they are located is fine though so don't let me stop the conversations. :)

Back