• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wedge tent where to place wood stove?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need one of the fireproof inserts to put in the bell to run the stove pipe. You want a path for the smoke and carbon monoxide to exit the tent. Many wedge tents are fairly small and an in tent wood burning stove takes up a lot of floor space that must be kept clear of flammable items, even a small one.
You have a museum wedge, so you should have enough room to install a wood burning stove. If you want to forego the HC aspect of an in tent stove, the Little Buddy propane heaters do a reasonable job. Still you have to plan on ventilation or use a carbon monoxide detector to ensure that the air in the tent is safe to breath. Note that a wood burning stove, especially a small one, needs to be replenished often to keep the fire going and a lot of wood needs to be split to the size used in the stove.

Thanks I was thinking the bell area would be a good spot but also thought maybe on the side . I have used a little buddy and it does work well but would like to try the wood burner.

Option one is to place the stove right at the beginning of the bell and go straight up through the roof near to the ridge pole, right next to the seam where the bell starts. This is simpler for the stove, and moves the external portion of the stove pipe away from normal human movement outside the tent. However if a leak happens around the stove insert in the tent fabric, the water can go a lot of places.
TENT Stove 1.png

The second option puts the stove into the actual bell, just a tad, and the tent insert goes into a portion of the bell itself. The advantages are if there is a leak it's not a problem, it's a bit easier to set up as far as reach though more complicated since you need two "elbow" joints on the smoke stack, and a support outside for the stack. It also means a person could bump into the supports and mess with the smoke stack, BUT the stack is often below the top ridge of the tent and thus doesn't spoil photos. Some folks add a thin piece of flat duct metal between the stove and the canvas closest to the stove.
TENT Stove 2.jpg
LD

It is possible that the insert could be raised and the flue could go straight up if the bell is large enough. That way you might be able to avoid all the external support structure

Gonna set it up this weekend and take some measurements see if I can make that work . The bell of my wedge has a door/ opening going to see about trying to place a stove jack that can be removed in between the ties near the top .

The bell of my wedge has a door/ opening going to see about trying to place a stove jack that can be removed in between the ties near the top .

You might be able to "kill two birds with one stone" if you create a "hard" insert for the door opening. If what you describe is what I think it is, below is an illustration. You make a plywood insert (which you would paint white; the illustration is left plain). The hole for the stove pipe also acts as the support for the stove pipe. The edges you will need to cover with something that won't won't "cook" like the plywood may. You can install ties to tie to the tent-door ties to keep the door edges from opening and letting in the weather. The illustration isn't "to scale" and is over-large so that it can be seen. It would also move the canvas farther away from the stove so that putting it into the actual bell should be less of a problem.

WEDGE TENT DOOR INSERT.jpg

LD

the Little Buddy propane heaters do a reasonable job. Still you have to plan on ventilation or use a carbon monoxide detector to ensure that the air in the tent is safe to breath.
The LITTLE BUDDY and the BIG BUDDY claims to have an oxy sensor on board and will shut the unit down if oxygen gets low. I never tested that to see how it worked though.

The LITTLE BUDDY and the BIG BUDDY claims to have an oxy sensor on board and will shut the unit down if oxygen gets low. I never tested that to see how it worked though.

Those work quite well, but you sacrifice the ability to boil a kettle or pot inside the tent (but you don't have to modify the tent either), when the weather is cold or otherwise nasty and you just don't want to venture out to the campfire. The cooking isn't fancy on a small stove the size of an ammo can, but a cup of hot coffee/tea/chocolate and a hot bowl of Quaker Instant Oatmeal inside the tent goes better (imho) than venturing outside to cook when it's 38 degrees and raining. ;)

LD

While those Buddy heaters have O2 sensors, I never liked having only one safety alarm especially when it is part of the operating unit. Well that is me and maybe why I have been around all these years, but dull as can be.

With the in tent stove, I make sure of the security of the flue. I have a cap on the flue to keep sparks from causing problems and have a loose door or a piece of flue under a tent flap to maintain air flow through the tent. My wood burning stove doesn't have a carbon monoxide detector.

Yes, Dave, I've been there in the tent and it is great to be able to boil a pot of coffee, brew some tea or hot chocolate in the tent.

I don't like the added moisture that an un-vented propane heater adds to the inside of the tent .

"Into each life, some rain must fall."

But seriously, that's a good point about the moisture. Especially if you come back in from the damp, and brought moisture with you, adding to the problem.

LD

When using a wood stove in a tent carbon monoxide is not a danger with a properly installed flue pipe. All exhaust gases pass through the flue. Also the stove will draw all the fresh air needed from the outside in period tentage.

Latest posts

Back