• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

wedge puller?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone made any homemade wedge pullers? How did they work for you?

I have never attemped to "pull" a wedge because it could damage the gun. A brass punch works best.
Frank Jr.

I made one of my own design (with a nipple wrench on the other end). Worked well, but I used the wrench far more than the puller....

I just make another wedge, thinner and narrower than the wedge on the gun, and use it to tap the wedge through to the other side. You just need to be careful with the tapping until you get past the slot in the escutcheon, then you can tap it all the way through if needed, without fear of dingin up anything.

I like to hammer a head on the wedge tool, just like the wedge in the gun, but it's not all the necessary. If you have a hacksaw and a file, you can make one out of any piece of mild steel or brass, as long as it ends up being thinner than the gun wedge. Bill

I make one that is a wedge puller and a nipple combined. Don't take up much room either. It is just a piece of steel with a U on one end. You bend it so it works to lift out the wedge pin and works on the nipple. My best one is made out of a piece of a large cotter pin. But have made them out of other good steel. Making the U takes the most time. Dilly

I just made a wedge punch out of a piece of carved deer antler. Looks about like the rifle's wedge pin, but a little larger. Works for me!

Rick

IMHO, antler is too brittle to use as a wedge puller. You need something at least as strong as bronze, and better still, STEEL, for this kind of work. I Just used a heavy rubber mallet to knock a key out of a stock, but even then, It took a lot of pulling on the head of the key to get to to move out of the hanger. IMHO, that key is too tight, and the owner needs to use a needle nose file( jeweler's file) to open the slot in that barrel hanger.

It doesn't take much filing to get this done. Sometimes the problem is just a burr that needs to be removed. Sometimes the problem is that the wood of the forestock has either expanded or shrunk, and the keyway in the hanger was not given room for endplay, to allow for this movement in the wood. The result is the barrel key is binding in the hanger, or opposite side escutcheon, or both.

Back