• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge Pins falling out on a GPR - Using an Arbor Press to tighten

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK my wedge pins keep falling out on my Lyman GPR . The manual suggests you use a 1" pipe and gently tap it on the barrel lug bending it slightly till the pins are tight. I have a 2 ton Arbor press with a 3/4" spherical nose that can be put on the ram . Seems like this would be a good way to do it . What do you guys think and/or have any of you done this.

I don't really know what an arbor press is but it sounds like a heavy duty machine. Adjusting a wedge pin or lug is very simple and low power. To adjust the lug all you need is a hammer and a rachet head and 1 or 2 light taps and then check the fit you don't want to break it. To adjust the wedge just tap the middle once or twice and check the fit. I would work on the wedge as if you break it is easier to replace it. I have done it both ways, also the pins are supposed to be slightly different lengths I would mark them, also try them upside-down you may have put them in wrong(wouldn't be the first time). Good luck and I hope this helps.

Once you get the wedges to fit tighter, you might want to consider "capturing" the wedge keys so you won't ever lose them and will install them the same way each time. I have captured all of the wedge keys on all of my take down guns so I won't lose the keys even though they fit tight.

So how do you capture the wedge keys
You need a slotted wedge key and a pin. The ‘capture’ pin is placed under or behind the slotted inlay, and goes through the slot in the wedge key.
1631637164798.jpeg

OK my wedge pins keep falling out on my Lyman GPR . The manual suggests you use a 1" pipe and gently tap it on the barrel lug bending it slightly till the pins are tight. I have a 2 ton Arbor press with a 3/4" spherical nose that can be put on the ram . Seems like this would be a good way to do it . What do you guys think and/or have any of you done this.
Sounds like overkill to me. If you know your press well and can do a gentle move, go for it. No doubt it will bend a wedge pin!
Larry

I had the same issue a couple of years ago with my GPR. VERY EASY fix, please don't use a press! two light to medium taps with a wide steel punch in the middle of the barrel wedge with a hammer made mine nice and tight from then on. Those wedge keys will bend much easier than you might think!

Sounds like overkill to me. If you know your press well and can do a gentle move, go for it. No doubt it will bend a wedge pin!
Larry
The OP was about bending the barrel lug, not the wedge pins. As long as you are using something with around a 1/2” radius (like the 1” pipe Lyman suggests) and go gentle and slow you will tighten up the lugs with no problems. Getting too aggressive and over bending the barrel lug can lead to a problem when you then attempt to loosen the lug fit by prying on it and the spot welds holding the lug to the barrel fail. I have fixed a few barrels for folks that have done exactly that.

The OP was about bending the barrel lug, not the wedge pins. As long as you are using something with around a 1/2” radius (like the 1” pipe Lyman suggests) and go gentle and slow you will tighten up the lugs with no problems. Getting too aggressive and over bending the barrel lug can lead to a problem when you then attempt to loosen the lug fit by prying on it and the spot welds holding the lug to the barrel fail. I have fixed a few barrels for folks that have done exactly that.
You are correct, my bad. I am a poor reader, and tend to scan over. It is still overkill to me, for either lug or key.
Thanks for setting me straight.
Larry

You need a slotted wedge key and a pin. The ‘capture’ pin is placed under or behind the slotted inlay, and goes through the slot in the wedge key. View attachment 94094
I use a cutting wheel on my Dremel tool to cut the slot in my wedge keys. I drill holes allong the centerline of the wedge key, then cut and file the material between the holes.

I did not originate this idea but I adopted it and it works: bend the wedges however you like BUT insert them from the left side for a right handed rifle (not the right as Lyman states). I believe vibration from firing is a major cause of GPR wedges walking out to the right when inserted from the right on a right handed rifle.

Installed mine just as shown. Done so on most builds over the decades. Never seen any factory rifles lose them so easily like GPRs. I have a small collection of "lost" wedges in my range box but no one ever asks. Now that they can run a $20 bill each shipped think folks are paying more attention. BTW many better quality original doubles came with captures wedges as standard features.

Back