• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wedge pin insertion- Right to Left or Left-Right ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wedge/key fits through the barrel tenon, and stock escutcheon, for the sole purpose of securely holding the barrel in the stock. If it is not secure/tight, then you must peen the tenon slightly to provide a tight fit. Now, as to direction of fitment, it is personal preference. I push mine in from the left, because the smooth head or the wedge does not gouge my palm.
Bottom line...
Do it as you like, since it makes no difference.

From my Alexander Henry to my Woodward and every original British piece I have in between, they are left - to - right.
Even the original Hawken we shot at the HawkenClassic, I noticed was left-to-right.
I’ve always believed it was because 90% are right handed and the palm of your left hand can push the key in more easily than the fingers.
Some are still so tight it’s unimaginable how they even made them so.
C65E3BD9-45AF-4A7B-A90B-2EBFEF68A5BD.jpeg
BF54A0E6-4333-41FF-BFC0-0096A79EFB94.jpeg

84EFB89C-A0BC-4B02-B775-0BAC45B7099D.jpeg

Again I don't think they' Wedge' but then they don't 'turn' any .One way to get the slot if the key is thin is bend it enough to saw the raised portion easier then to finnish with a needle file if you can heat it it will go ready enough . If you look at trigger slots you can see what suggests a saw like wheel is used ' I duplicate these 'Saw ' cuts since they generally show them on old guns . If Me & Dave could time warp into a gunmakers of the period what little nuances , jigs, & tricks we might cotton onto .But untill then we must all look at original work & guess . Regards Rudyard

Insert the wedges from the wrong side and accuracy will go away, and likely the gun will explode. Lead will no longer be available. Only subs will be available. Just not sure which side is wrong or not PC or HC for wedge direction. The fate of the world depends on getting it right. Time to flip that coin. Guess I’ll call heads.

And for what it might be worth, given the choice, I prefer left to right because of how it feels in my left hand. Guessing the right to left crowd has a similar reason or argument.

Last edited:
Just Checked , the wedges on my Henry Nock 14 ga go left to right , so do the ones on my mates Purdy rifle . They don't stick out very far and are fairly slim so they wouldn't interfere with your grip any way , but I guess if you are right handed , the fact that they come out on the left would make any movement out would be easily felt by the left hand
Purdy
20220116_110925.jpg
H Nock
P1020965.JPG
This is TOTW's offering of wedges Wedge Keys & Pins - Track of the Wolf
I just looked through an auction catalogue and all the British guns have wedges which are inserted from the left , the only one which inserts from the right is German . 🤣

Last edited:
Just Checked , the wedges on my Henry Nock 14 ga go left to right , so do the ones on my mates Purdy rifle . They don't stick out very far and are fairly slim so they wouldn't interfere with your grip any way , but I guess if you are right handed , the fact that they come out on the left would make any movement out would be easily felt by the left hand
Purdy
View attachment 142182
H Nock
View attachment 142181
This is TOTW's offering of wedges Wedge Keys & Pins - Track of the Wolf
I just looked through an auction catalogue and all the British guns have wedges which are inserted from the left , the only one which inserts from the right is German . 🤣

Guess that makes my original Pritchett rifle all wrong. Especially since he went to the trouble of contouring the escutcheons to fit the curve of the key as well. Good job he stopped making guns and took up painting.

That is absolutely true for the Investarms made Lyman Great Plains Rifle but the newer version made by Pedersoli has the same length wedges. My old Great Plains rifle had the different length wedges and were always inserted from right to left unlike the newer Pedersoli manufactured version.
Yes, mine is older Investarms model. Shoots quite well!

I like to have head of wedge under my fingertips on forearm. Every time I align sights I can easily check if wedge needs pushed back in( I lost a wedge while shooting 25 to 35 years ago and as part of my routine check before each shot)

Anybody know if it matters how you insert the wedge pin ?
Was reading a Lyman Great Plains rifle label literature, and it states inserting the pin "right to left".;
I've always seen it done opposite most of the time.
Would it affect anything ?
On my T/C 45 caliber Hawken I do it Left to Right. If I do it Right to Left the wedge pin always works loose.

Guess that makes my original Pritchett rifle all wrong. Especially since he went to the trouble of contouring the escutcheons to fit the curve of the key as well. Good job he stopped making guns and took up painting.
Well fitted escutcheons are curved to the contour of the fore end and the wedge head is curved to the escutcheons , personally I don't think it matters which side as long as it is pinned

The only gun I saw where it made a difference was an original half stock where the wedge and the key were tapered. It would only go in one way. Unless you had a large hammer.

The Key on that Rather Nice DOUBLE Henry Rifle looks as if it head is on the RHS. O.D.. and for what it's worth it is always said that we rode on the left so that the sword arm is on the side facing oncoming horsemen, just in case. Where we left the mark that others followed,even America until you went Independant when Canada followed to save having two types of vehicle ..OD..

Back