• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

weaving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
all sorts of weaving, was an important part of the 18th century culture. i never gave a lot of thought to the making and use of the woven products until the discussions in the thread posted by NW Territory Woodsman.
i thought i better at least try to make a band or tape to see what is involved. i like to try to make the sort of things used in the 18th century. try to make your own stuff.
so i asked questions, did a bit of research, built a tape loom and shuttle, figured out how to use it (sort of), and made a practice band. it is very crude but it is a start. it did get progressively better as i got onto it. next project will be a powder horn strap.

i have to say hats off to all the folks that take on the task of producing woven items, it takes a lot of skill, patients and time.

i will show you what my first attempt on my homemade box loom turned out like, like i said its crude, uneven, and full of mistakes and the weft color wrong. (learning curve).

maybe we could see your projects and equipment.

ou
tom

Attachments

• IMG_4591.JPG
    IMG_4591.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4589 (1).JPG
    IMG_4589 (1).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 107
all sorts of weaving, was an important part of the 18th century culture. i never gave a lot of thought to the making and use of the woven products until the discussions in the thread posted by NW Territory Woodsman.
i thought i better at least try to make a band or tape to see what is involved. i like to try to make the sort of things used in the 18th century. try to make your own stuff.
so i asked questions, did a bit of research, built a tape loom and shuttle, figured out how to use it (sort of), and made a practice band. it is very crude but it is a start. it did get progressively better as i got onto it. next project will be a powder horn strap.

i have to say hats off to all the folks that take on the task of producing woven items, it takes a lot of skill, patients and time.

i will show you what my first attempt on my homemade box loom turned out like, like i said its crude, uneven, and full of mistakes and the weft color wrong. (learning curve).

maybe we could see your projects and equipment.

ou
tom

Indeed, congratulations on beginning a period skill!

Gus

Nice,
Tip; A smaller shuttle might help ease the chore.
Do the math,, they did. Not much need for 90 yards of weft for a 5' horn strap,, :)

I actually just recently finished a "finger" woven strap for my powder horn. I had some plain white cotton cordage laying around that I laid out into five strands that doubled over made for ten strands total. I tied all of the ends together on one end, died half of the strands red and the other half blue. I think that it turned out pretty acceptable for the amount of time and effort that went into it. I left all of the tail ends a bit long to use to tie it on with.
IMG_20210502_204222233.jpg

The wife has been bothering me about making her an inkle room for a solid year now, so I suppose that I had better get around to that sooner than later. You know... the old happy wife happy life and all that. Lol

Latest posts

Back