• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wear plates on long rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean a toe plate?

This is a little more than usually done by most people.
Screenshot_20220421-012929_Gallery.jpg

Actually drilled a nice ramrod channel!, problem is the stock was precut by the previous owner, way to thin.

I have to build a longrifle from a ramrod , " bottom drill out stock. " It s a fantastic piece of curly sugar maple , that belonged to the famous Pa. bear hunter , Jim Rosengrants , from Lycoming Co. . Jim is credited for shooting the first bear w/ a m/l longrifle in modern times. His story made the magazine , Pa.Game News. I have to build this rifle , he couldn't finish , due to his passing away. RIP..Jim. He was a grand fellow , and I hunted with him many times from my camp , in Centre Co. , Pa. I'll put the brass wear plate under the forearm to hide the drill through , and also put his name on it , too.........oldwood

I have to build a longrifle from a ramrod , " bottom drill out stock. " It s a fantastic piece of curly sugar maple , that belonged to the famous Pa. bear hunter , Jim Rosengrants , from Lycoming Co. . Jim is credited for shooting the first bear w/ a m/l longrifle in modern times. His story made the magazine , Pa.Game News. I have to build this rifle , he couldn't finish , due to his passing away. RIP..Jim. He was a grand fellow , and I hunted with him many times from my camp , in Centre Co. , Pa. I'll put the brass wear plate under the forearm to hide the drill through , and also put his name on it , too.........oldwood
I hunted for years and my brother still hunts in McKean Cnty, Bradford ,Pa!

Steve Lodding's copy of Mariano Medina's Hawken is so good that I did a double take having recently handled, measured the original. The stamp on the percussion lock is different than the original - only detail that stood out to me. Brass and steel and iron wear plates can be attached with fine nails or small screws. They are fairly thin and may need to be curved to follow contour of fore arm on stock. Medina's Hawken was "freshed out" from 54 to 58 caliber, is slightly swamped and has a very fast twist = about 1 in 37".

My Second and third copies of the Wigle rifle. The walnut one was for a relative named Wigle who wanted it that way. He killed a deer with it.

z
1658077844807.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back