• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Weak sparking old Dixie lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, real flint. I've been using it since the late 70s.
I think it is time for a new flint. 🤣
Actually, as always, what Fred said sums it up. Figuring out how to please a new flintlock is frustrating but also one of the funnest and most challenging parts of this ml game. Also, consider your mainspring might be too weak. That was a problem with many early import ml rifles.

I bought this Dixie TN Mtn rifle lock back in the 80s but didn't get around to building the rifle until last winter. The lock is a weak sparker or no sparker. I took off the frizzen spring and did get some nice sparking but with the spring no luck. A person familiar with flintlocks tested the frizzen with a file and declared it hard enough. Comparing it with an old small Siler I have the sparks like crazy the frizzen spring is fairly heavy. BTW, the hammer will throw the frizzen open every time, no problem. Photos are at rest, half cock, full cock, just before frizzen opens. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 176284View attachment 176285View attachment 176286View attachment 176287
I'm thinking the main spring tension may not be up to the task with enough authority !

He's getting good spark after narrowing the frizzen spring, sounds like he's good to go!
I hadn't thought of weakening the Frizzen spring which would probably be tatamount to increasing the main spring tension and much easier. Thanks for the helpful tip to add to the data base !

I bought this Dixie TN Mtn rifle lock back in the 80s but didn't get around to building the rifle until last winter. The lock is a weak sparker or no sparker. I took off the frizzen spring and did get some nice sparking but with the spring no luck. A person familiar with flintlocks tested the frizzen with a file and declared it hard enough. Comparing it with an old small Siler I have the sparks like crazy the frizzen spring is fairly heavy. BTW, the hammer will throw the frizzen open every time, no problem. Photos are at rest, half cock, full cock, just before frizzen opens. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 176284View attachment 176285View attachment 176286View attachment 176287
BTW, a recent issue of Muzzle Blasts had a tech article showing angle views, etc., relative to sparking and flints. It really is a science! Good luck.

I'll update this old post. The lock turned into a very indifferent sparker. Sometimes I just couldn't coax a little spark enough to light the primer over and over. I took it up to Brad Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading in Hallam, PA in Sept. 2023 and got it back yesterday. It is now a terrific sparker. For those interested he:
Made a new sear screw. Reforged and re-tensioned main spring to make it stronger. Reworked the frizzen spring and frizzen foot for improved geometry. Re-surfaced the convex frizzen face. Hand tuned and polished the internals of the lock.

It now is a great sparker. I can't thank him enough. The reason is the lock is so small I couldn't find a replacement to fit into the mortise and lock panels so I needed this old lock to function.

I have at least 2 locks that need tuning work; I pass Cabin Creek's location now and then visiting friends; I'll contact them when I'm ready to have the locks looked at. I'd see their tables at the Gunmaker's Fair, too.

Back