• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

We are out of style....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as I can keep on getting the supplies that I need to keep on shooting, I don't care if I am the only one in the state of Ohio that shoots BP.. I enjoy it and convey my enjoyment to others who show interest... but I am not doing it as a social activity. I shoot in my backyard and hunt primarily with one maybe two buddies who shoot traditional BP rifles.

I was thinking about this and I will concede that we are out of fashion but not out of style. Out of fashion like a Ferrari GT 250 California compared to a Bugatti Veyron. Like a Purdey side by side is out of fashion compared to Benelli Super Black Eagle, etc.

Vtsmoker said:
I know what ya mean. I'm tryin to sell a brand new caplock and cant GIVE the thing away. tried to trade it in at a gun shop and the owner told me he wasn't even intersted in shooting me an offer on it. He said "nobody wants these things anymore." :( :confused:

You may need to put plastic sights and a plastic stock on it. THEN it'' sell! :barf: :haha:

Blasfamy, I'll keep it before I would commit such a horrible act even though I already have the same rifle in my cabinet. :rotf:

Let's don't forget..there is a new movie coming out in April! "Alone Yet Not Alone". French and Indian War era movie with lots of Flinters!

I got my 13 year old nephew interested the other day when I was attempting to sight my gun in. He kept asking questions and I finally let him shoot it and had him loading and shooting it soon after. All he could talk about is how he wants a muzzle loader when he is older.

Went to my local rifle range on Sunday. I had my .50 calbre rocklock long rifle with me.
Many plastic rifles on the firing line. One other M/L was being fired. It was the kind we don't speak of here.

Heads turned upon the first shot. Parents bringing their children to view the old time gun and the old time shooter. History lesson time.
Young and old were fancinated and a good time was had by all.

You know I feel sorry for those that have never tried traditional muzzle loaders. I guess we are at least out of step. It seems that there are fewer shooters all along that will take the time required to shoot our rifles. I believe the term is " instant gratification Socity " and our weapons just don't fit in.

What really baffles me is that most states welcomed the other kind when they called it a muzzle loader season. When Archery seasons were opened and it was called a premitive season. Years ago that was the slant on muzzleloaders as well. I view both bow and muzzle loader hunting as a extra challenge. No scope or shotgun primers for me.

Over the years I have never considered myself handicapped by my rifles compaired to a modern rifle with iron sights. My 2 Cents Geo. T.

ord sgt said:
Heads turned upon the first shot. Parents bringing their children to view the old time gun and the old time shooter. History lesson time.
Young and old were fancinated and a good time was had by all.

this always happens without fail, yet at the end of the day it seems really rare that i get asked where they can buy one for themselves.

i suspect ive become somewhat of a novelty at my local range. many people i dont know seem to know who i am. im "the guy with the long rifle" and while this doesnt bother me, i wish i had more of my "kind" to keep me company. the onley thing i like more then shooting is talking with people while shooting. ive almost mastered the abillity to talk and load at the same time.

-Matt

dc7x64, I think I've heard about that movie in the past. Trailer looks pretty decent, though I did see someone comment on the inaccurate choice of lady's attire, so as a reenactor I suppose that might irk me some, but I like the plot and theme.

cynthialee said:
It was real popular, even by the time I was 5 or 6 (1974ish) it was still in some theaters. It was one of the first movies my dad took me to watch when I was little. It was so powerful that even though I was just a kid I can remember most of the storyline and there were scenes that brought me to tears.
It is worth the watch and you are missing out if you do not take the time to watch it.

5 or 6? Geez I was in my second year of college when JJ came out... :doh: mebbe that old gray hair in the mirror IS me....

Snow

Claypipe said:
Maybe if they did a remake of Redford's Jeremiah Johnson movie? I don't think there was hardly a pickemup truck that didn't have a CVA caplock in the rearview window rack, after that movie hit the big screen.

CP
No way anyone could remake that movie and stay true to form. No special effects and only a half dozen lines of dialog? Hype and special effects sell movies today.

That movie is perfect just as it is, a timeless clasic.

If they were to redo it I think they would likely screw it up. But it could do alot to bring new folks to the hobby.

Who would you cast in the lead? No one come to mind imediatly.

I think that they should have Hatchet Jack be Robert Redford. It would be a perfect nod to the original..

Bear Claw? Again, none of this crop of actors comes to mind to be able to play the part.

Honestly I can't think of anyone for any of the parts. The crop of actors we have now kinda stink.

not to mention the serious over the top recoil on his 50 cal hawken. :rotf:

but a good movie about muzzleloaders would certainly help the hobby along. a mountain man movie would be ideal.

-Matt

Back