• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

We are out of style....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if they did a remake of Redford's Jeremiah Johnson movie? I don't think there was hardly a pickemup truck that didn't have a CVA caplock in the rearview window rack, after that movie hit the big screen.

CP

It was real popular, even by the time I was 5 or 6 (1974ish) it was still in some theaters. It was one of the first movies my dad took me to watch when I was little. It was so powerful that even though I was just a kid I can remember most of the storyline and there were scenes that brought me to tears.
It is worth the watch and you are missing out if you do not take the time to watch it.

i havent seen that movie... looking for a torrent now.

edit: ok will have the movie in about an hour.

-matt

I still remember the pretty little lady I took on a date to see that movie... :)

I was more influenced by Fess Parker as I was 9 when Daniel Boone was being shown back in '64...

Giving talks to Scouts and schools is a good way to keep up the interest in history...Being fasinated by flintlocks just comes natural to those that are exposed to them...

I always take my flint and steel and show how to make fire and show the connection from that to the design of a flintlock...

just finished watching the movie. :thumbsup:

Turn down this gift and they'll slit you, me, Kaleb, and the horses from crotch to eyeball with a dull deer antler.
:rotf:

thanks
-Matt

i hate to be the one to admit this, but we might just need something like the "Muzzle Loaders Associations International Committee" (MLAIC) to boost our exposure.

it's the american nature to be independent and "do it yourself" people, but would you really rather see the BP sport die a slow, painful death due to lack of publicity or sacrifice a little independence for some headline news...

they do LOTS of events throughout europe, south africa, japan, etc., and some in the USA (not sure what, when, or where) with an emphasis on competative shooting.

anyone familiar with thie organization ? (www MLAIC org) ?

:hmm:
~dg~

I hate to see what it will be like down the road. For instance in Pa. you are allowed in-lines in the early BP season. If they ever allow this in the flintlock season, your flintlock will be a dime a dozen with everyone switching over, and there are a lot of people that want this besides the gun companys. You probably couldnt find real BP in the state if this went into effect. Pa sells at lot of muzzleloading stamps ( you need this for the primitive season ). I just hope it never happens but these big companys can be very helpfull to politicians and game managers, if you know what I mean.

I think from a wildlife management standpoint it doesn't matter if there's a ML season or not, its just an issue of numbers, so if they need to adjust the deer population and they can get more hunters out by removing the flintlock restriction then it will go away.

I will honestly be surprised if there are any mass produced flintlocks on the market in 25 years.

Since given my current age that's longer than the maximum life expectancy in my family in the last 400 years, I doubt it will matter much to me personally.

I went to the National Boy Scout Jamboree in 1976 in Moraine State Park, PA (and it wasn't named "More-Rain" for nuthin' :haha: ). I remember the rain, and I remember the AMM camp. I remember the AMM got torqued at some yahoo who said the AMM members were smoking dope in the camp when it was kinnikinnick, so they left. I got my first muzzleloader 18 months later.

LD

A lot of my friends and family think I was born 150 - 200 years too late. :idunno: :blah:

with shipping to your home being as good and efficient as it is today and having access to internet venders such as TOW,Dixie Gun Works Powder Inc etc. we have little to worry about. i try to support local venders at rondys and the big show in march in monroe. Friendship is at the top of my bucket list. the only problem with the muzzleloader season here is ther are not enough hunters in the woods to keep the critters moving. in the area i hunted last year for elk, 338 hunters
reported as required. same area had over 4000 modern hunters report. told opening day looks like a pumpkin patch.
shoot at a local historical site in canada and i am on more chinese facebook pages with some little kid holding onto my gun than i care to think about.

Loyalist Dave said:
I went to the National Boy Scout Jamboree in 1976 in Moraine State Park, PA (and it wasn't named "More-Rain" for nuthin' :haha: ). I remember the rain, and I remember the AMM camp. I remember the AMM got torqued at some yahoo who said the AMM members were smoking dope in the camp when it was kinnikinnick, so they left. I got my first muzzleloader 18 months later.

LD

Hey! I was there at the '73 Jamboree - but didn't see no mountain men. I got robbed. :-(

Dusty 14 said:
with shipping to your home being as good and efficient as it is today and having access to internet venders such as TOW,Dixie Gun Works Powder Inc etc.

TOW does internet sales :haha:
Didnt one of the western states change there muzzle loader season and outlaw inline or make it RB only?

I helped out the local ML bunch at a shoot this summer sponsored by a local youth group. Pyrodex, patching and round ball were provided gratis by a local sporting goods store and the rifles were loaned to us by Dept of fish and game. They rent out inlines for muzzleloading season. I was surprised at the turn-out. Sixty plus kids ages eight to eighteen showed up. At least a third brought their own rifles. Some of the participants brought their own sidelocks, powder and ball. We took the opportunity to familiarize anyone interested with sidelocks and flinters and real black powder after the course of fire. Very satisfying. Exposure of traditional BP shooting to the young folks has generated a lot of interest. Hopefully more than a few will continue with traditional muzzleloading. I felt the time and effort put in was well worth it.

i do all my shopping online except for food
even order my spirits online and pick them up at the spirit retailer the next day
so far i have not had any touble finding anything i may need

buzz said:
i do all my shopping online except for food
even order my spirits online and pick them up at the spirit retailer the next day
so far i have not had any touble finding anything i may need

im the same way, things like lead, black powder, and general BP supplies cannot be found locally.

-Matt

Over here in Belgium this scheme has worked out... We now have an official BP gun shop ... all other gun dealers know this and refer you to that shop if you want a gun, parts, accesories or BP... The man started this bussiness as a second job, and he himself was a BP gun enthousiast. So he made a bit of a living out of his hobby... I believe he now is working his regular job less and his BP gunshop more then in the beginning ... he is doing really well! All BP shooters know him!

I dont know if they still do it or not but had 2 years ago the hunters safety course in Michigan required you to load and shoot a black powder rifle. A bunch of us brought out numerous guns and let both adults and kids touch off a few rounds. But hey the same is true in Michigan they opened up crossbows for anyone to use to sell more hunting tags and it worked, now everyone is carrying crossbows and compounds are outdated, hell i was called old school for hunting with a recurve.

Back