• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD40/Water Cleaning Solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been using this combination for a year or so and it seems to work well. I mixed WD40 and water about 50/50 in a pepper sauce bottle and with a good shake it forms what looks like the elusive moose milk. It separated overnight into a white solution on top and a milky water on the bottom. A few days ago I gave it a shot of dish soap and shook it up. So far it hasn't separated. 4 or 5 wet patches followed by a dry one and then a patch with straight WD has been working very well with no after rust. It beats the hot water I've been using forever.
This is a great way to buy WD40;
https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Multi-...W,B078XCD8QY,B000BXOGHY,B00IAJVVSI,B00631GZEU

WD-40 is the absolute only thing that gets my smoothbore clean. I can run 20 patches down the barrel with soapy water or some purchased cleaning solutions, wait 10 min and still get brown patches coming out. So now I do 5 with soapy water, wait 10 min and then run a couple of WD-40 patches down. The first comes out brown. The second and any following are pretty darned clean. The next day, still clean. I don't know why it works so well but it does. I like to put a lightly-greased patch & a dry patch down the next day for better protection. But the WD-40 is a required product for that gun.

WD-40 is a light machine oil composition. In a past life I worked in the petro-chem
industry in a research pilot operation for Emory Industries. Various light faction oils
dispersed by detergents in water are micellar dispersions. You can buy the various
oils like Ballistol,light machinist's oils, 3-in-one,Marvel Mystery,WD-40, Hoppes and
others that,with water and dish detergent will make an oil-water Micellar type dispersion
that the sport deems "Moose Milk." Over the years folks have recommended
many "swear-by" concoctions. Probably most work well due to the light faction oil & water
being able to dissolve or loosen fouling deposits. I declare all of them OK. My only
question is :"Where in Northern Canada did they corner that Moose Cow and milk her?"

A lot of pistol shooters at Friendship use liquid WD-40, available at Lowe's and Tractor supply by the gallon, and mix it with synthetic motor oil 5050 as patch lube. Works really well.

WD-40 is a light machine oil composition. In a past life I worked in the petro-chem
industry in a research pilot operation for Emory Industries. Various light faction oils
dispersed by detergents in water are micellar dispersions. You can buy the various
oils like Ballistol,light machinist's oils, 3-in-one,Marvel Mystery,WD-40, Hoppes and
others that,with water and dish detergent will make an oil-water Micellar type dispersion
many "swear-by" concoctions. Probably most work well due to the light faction oil & water
being able to dissolve or loosen fouling deposits. I declare all of them OK. My only
question is :"Where in Northern Canada did they corner that Moose Cow and milk her?"
Wm Lincoln - great post, thanks. Mo. Highway Patrol found out WD-40 over time builds up layers which required all revolvers (they'd switched to stainless S&W 66's and 60's) to be brought in and cleaned of the residue. Some troopers had been simply spraying and wiping instead of cleaning. Others found out stainless does rust after they removed grips and stuck their revolvers in dishwashers. That's been decades ago-maybe the formula's changed, don't know. Might be ok for swabbing bores in BP. To each his own, it's all fun.

I've been using this combination for a year or so and it seems to work well. I mixed WD40 and water about 50/50 in a pepper sauce bottle and with a good shake it forms what looks like the elusive moose milk. It separated overnight into a white solution on top and a milky water on the bottom. A few days ago I gave it a shot of dish soap and shook it up. So far it hasn't separated. 4 or 5 wet patches followed by a dry one and then a patch with straight WD has been working very well with no after rust. It beats the hot water I've been using forever.
This is a great way to buy WD40;
https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Multi-...W,B078XCD8QY,B000BXOGHY,B00IAJVVSI,B00631GZEU

Thank you sir, I'll give it a try.

1706339125414.png

A lot of pistol shooters at Friendship use liquid WD-40, available at Lowe's and Tractor supply by the gallon, and mix it with synthetic motor oil 5050 as patch lube. Works really well.
What ? now sir I've been told by experts on this forum that petroleum products and black powder don't mix and will coat my bore in tar. ;)

Back