• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WD-40 Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, spray in a lock! My work as a locksmith showed different. Tumblers will lock up. Works fine until it dries.
Being a locksmith perhaps you can tell me if I was right or wrong?

Earlier in this topic I mentioned that the only thing that has happened to the WD-40 since I put a bunch of it into a percussion cap tin lid is that it turned into basically something I would say looks and flows about like 30 or 40 weight motor oil.
I assumed putting 30 or 40 weight motor oil into a tumbler lock could cause the tumblers from moving freely so, the lock wouldn't work.
Was this a correct assumption?

WD40 will not gum up a lock, but it will hold dust and THAT will gum up a lock, so most people use dry, silicone or teflon-based lubricants in locks these days. But in a pinch WD40 will open up a sticky lock too.

If you spray anything on a spark plug wire, use silicone. Anything else will stick so you need pliers to remove the wire from the spark plug. Most times it will be ruined.

A lot depends on the type of lock, usage, and location. I've used it to free up an old padlock, but had it be useless on a door lock. It will also freeze up a lock in below zero weather. The old formula WD-40, I haven't used the new formula on a lock as I have better options.
IMO, if a lock get's to the point where it needs WD-40 to make it work, It's probably not long for this world anyway. Time to think about replacing it.

WD40 will not gum up a lock, but it will hold dust and THAT will gum up a lock, so most people use dry, silicone or teflon-based lubricants in locks these days. But in a pinch WD40 will open up a sticky lock too.
It will open a lock with water or ice but when it hardens, the tumblers will lock up tight. Best is graphite.
One time a friend called when his neighbor left her keys in the house and her baby was inside. I took tools and it was a long time until I got the door open. Forget the TV junk with 2 seconds to open a lock. It can take an hour to open. I was in the house before they wanted to break a window.
The relieve of the lady was my payment. I did not want a dime. She will never forget me. To shed tears over problems is my life.
Believe what you will but a can of WD-40 should be set down range to shoot.

Here in the land of salt water, salt air and high humidity LPS has become a top choice for everything from aircraft to boats to guns, opting for LPS1, LPS2 or LPS3 for the specific job. Barricade and Rig products are good too, but not so versatile for broad uses, as LPS products are on most every store shelf.
I use LPS 3 in my BP guns. Barricade goes on every other gun. Rig grease will store a gun forever.
3 in 1 will gum as will Singer sewing machine oil. I even had Rem oil gum to stop the bolt stop on a Ruger Mark.

Back on July 12 I started this topic about testing WD 40 to see if it would turn into some gummy like substance that would cause problems if it was used on a gun.

At the time, after 5 days in the hot Arizona sunshine with temperatures up to 114°F it had turned into something that was basically about like 30 weight motor oil.

Now, over 3 months later it has continued to thicken. It is still a fluid like oil but I'd guess its more like 90 weight oil that's used in standard transmissions and differentials. It is still not "gummy" but I can see where it could definitely cause a problem with key locks by causing the little tumbler pins that the key pushes on, to stop moving freely.

This begs another of my curiosities:
If drug-store medical grade mineral oil is just highly purified petroleum oil then why wouldn't we use it as a fine lubricant?

I did have a lengthy conversation with a Japanese antique sword technician/repairer and he was using this as a protectant for these extremely valuable swords. He did caution that every few years you should clean the oil off and re-apply as the oil residue gets gummy.

Or we could just go on-line to buy repackaged drug-store mineral oil at exorbitant prices for use as a watch and lock lubricant.

Back on July 12 I started this topic about testing WD 40 to see if it would turn into some gummy like substance that would cause problems if it was used on a gun.

At the time, after 5 days in the hot Arizona sunshine with temperatures up to 114°F it had turned into something that was basically about like 30 weight motor oil.

Now, over 3 months later it has continued to thicken. It is still a fluid like oil but I'd guess its more like 90 weight oil that's used in standard transmissions and differentials. It is still not "gummy" but I can see where it could definitely cause a problem with key locks by causing the little tumbler pins that the key pushes on, to stop moving freely.
Now imagine you are a "once a year deer hunter".(12 months)
and the temperature is low.(below freezing).

WD-4 Get A Bout It. :D

Know anyone who uses it on their arthritis? Used to know some old timers who swore by it,they permanently smelled like w d 40!

I use WD40 as a water displacer and short term surface protector. Would not consider it for a lubricant in a mechanical device. Have seen the stuff thicken up in cold weather (below 10°F) to the point where a firing pin on a modern gun would not move until warmed up. Many better products out there.

I live in the heat and humidity of North Carolina, and find that if I have a clean bore/surface covered with WD40 and it is not disturbed (fingerprints for example) I do not have a corrosion or rust issue. I store for the first day or two after cleaning muzzle down and have experienced no ‘oil issues’. Don’t wipe, just load and shoot. Not properly cleaned, doesn’t matter what I use, it is going to rust.

Before WD40 became so popular CRC was widely used in the marine industry. Seemed to work better against corrosion.

Several years ago I read an article that stated that WD40 was made up of basically mineral spirits with a very small percentage of oils.

I’ve since started using deodorized paint thinner with a little bit oil added to it. I put it in a spray bottle and keep it in my shop for a number of uses where I would have used WD40 before. I’ve been saving a lot of money. I still have a can or two around. That straw can come in handy.

For guns I’m a Ballistol fan. I like the slight residue it leaves behind. The spray can is a lot thinner than the normal, but sometimes that can be good. I’ve tried putting the regular in a spray bottle, but it was too viscous to work. I’ve thought about adding some paint thinner, but for now I just buy the cans.

Anyone ever try Fluidfilm ? It is a lanolin based spray. I sprayed some on some sheet steel that has been laying out in the weather for better than a year and it still isn't rusting and really repels water.
Been thinkin bout using on longrifles and see how it works out.
Gordy

Anyone ever try Fluidfilm ?
Yep! Works great for long term storage and very rainy conditions. Most people are use to protectants that basically
evaporate, fluid film doesn't. For normal use, I spray it on and wipe it off leaving a thin coat. Don't forget to shake the can, it has a marble in it like spray paint.

Anyone ever try Fluidfilm ? It is a lanolin based spray. I sprayed some on some sheet steel that has been laying out in the weather for better than a year and it still isn't rusting and really repels water.
Gordy
Fluid Film may work and is said to be lanolin based, but unless the ‘lanolin’ they use is made from petroleum, you wouldn’t know it from their MSDS.
upload_2019-10-25_9-57-8.png

Gordy
I am a believer in FF! I been using it on my guns for years now and no sign of rust. Also makes a good hand conditioner if you like the smell of a sheep barn. It drives the country girls crazy much as English Leather did years ago.

I have found Fluid Film to be an excellent protective and preservative. It does have a tendency to build up a long lasting film that reminds me of Brylcream (A little dab will do ya!), giving a nice sheen at first, but becoming cloudy with time.
Now, where did I put that Brylcream?

Back