• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD-40 Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BEST thing about WD-40 is that it is better than nothing at all!

There are better rust preventatives, better lock lubes, better anti-galling compounds, better thread cutting fluids, better bore preservatives, better bike chain lubricants, heck, even better arthritis medications! But we still keep the company in business!

There are many myths about this product. Some show the intellect (or lack of) in the believer. I had a guy , whom I thought had plenty of smarts, who told us all that the D in WD40 stood for diesel . Because that is one of the main ingredients. I guess PHD could stand for "Pin Headed Dope"?

During my 39 years of working at a jet engine company I worked with a number of people who had PhD's.
If the subject was the one they had their degree in their knowledge was totally amazing.
In most other subjects they seemed to know almost nothing. Even simple things seemed to confuse them.
Then, there were a few who seemed to know almost nothing about the subject they had gotten their degree in. I couldn't help but think, " I'm sure glad he didn't become a doctor. He would end up killing more folks than he would help."

I have an immediate relative like that. He has a PHD in engineering (civil, mechanical AND environmental). He burned up two engines in one summer as his girlfriends picture covered the temperature gauge. 1st time? could happen to lotta folks. 2nd time? what did you say yer degree is in?;) Ya....he put the picture back after the engine was replaced.

One of the really, really neat things about the forum is, when your looking at the index for a sub-forum you can just pass right by the topics that don't interest you.
There aren't any rules that say everyone must read every single topic shown.

That's right. If you just read the title and decide, "I don't want to read that one.", you just pass by it and select a topic that interests you.

Pretty neat, don't you think? :)
Right on Zonie, my thought exactly.
Squint

Answer a question for me. I just got a can of it in my basement with 39% humidity and the can is rusting. The can has been used for water so there is some on it. Yet I expect it to discharge all over once the rust gets deep. Why does a can of WD-40 rust?
Who here is brave enough to spray it into car door locks?

Answer a question for me. I just got a can of it in my basement with 39% humidity and the can is rusting. The can has been used for water so there is some on it. Yet I expect it to discharge all over once the rust gets deep. Why does a can of WD-40 rust?
Who here is brave enough to spray it into car door locks?
A can filled with the world's best anti-rusting fluid can still rust on the outside of the can. The fluid is inside the can and there is none of it on the outside so while the inside is thoroughly protected, the outside is totally unprotected.

As for spraying WD-40 into key locks, I wouldn't advise doing it.
Based on my test sample, after the solvents have evaporated the only thing left is some oil that looks about like 30 weight motor oil.
Keyed tumbler locks little pins that move up and down when the key is inserted are powered with very small, weak springs and an oil as thick as 30w might easily be so thick that the little springs can't move them. If the pins don't move down so they are making contact with the notches in the key, the key won't be able to unlock it.

As for the fly in many traditional locks goes, it too should be oiled with a lightweight oil that will allow it to freely move back and forth. Most good gun oils will do this job quite nicely.

During my 39 years of working at a jet engine company I worked with a number of people who had PhD's.
If the subject was the one they had their degree in their knowledge was totally amazing.
In most other subjects they seemed to know almost nothing. Even simple things seemed to confuse them.
Then, there were a few who seemed to know almost nothing about the subject they had gotten their degree in. I couldn't help but think, " I'm sure glad he didn't become a doctor. He would end up killing more folks than he would help."
Started school knowing nothing about everything. Learned more and more about less and less. Received my diploma to document that I then knew everything about nothing.

WD-40 is NOT made to lubricate. It is NOT made to prevent rust. It is NOT made with fish oil. These things are fact. The people who use WD-40 while ignoring these facts are often sorely disappointed. WD-40 is made to displace (remove) moisture. Period. It does, however, have other properties that make it desirable for some other oil/cleaner type jobs. It is a good detergent (cleaner). removing tar and greasy grime without damaging the paint or your skin. It is also good for a wipedown of your guns to remove salty fingerprints at the range or in the field until you can properly clean the gun. I have used WD-40 on guns for decades for a quick clean and wipe down and have NEVER had any gumming or any other problems with my guns. I have never tried it for dissolving BP fowling, but it might be OK if allowed to soak. Certainly couldn't harm anything if used in proper amounts. Everything has a purpose and is usually pretty good if used within those parameters. Step outside those, and you may be badly disappointed.

Everything has it's limits. WD 40 is a convenient TEMPORARY cleaner in a spray can that gets you home. Once there use the Real Stuff and give your gun a thorough cleaning + oiling. Simple ,huh ?

WD 40 worked for me 40 years +. LOW humidity but for 40 years I "oiled" with it and never a spot of rust. Dont try this in IN, OH, LA etc. I believe climate is very relevant to this discussion.

WD 40 worked for me 40 years +. LOW humidity but for 40 years I "oiled" with it and never a spot of rust. Dont try this in IN, OH, LA etc. I believe climate is very relevant to this discussion.
Hey you left out Texas. It's very humid down here!

I'll let you look it up. Readers' Digest has compiled a list of 46 things that WD-40 is good for besides our water displacement. Two kind of / sort of apply to muzzle loading and that is in leather conditioning. I'm leery of that use. Removing dried glue and degreasing hands may have some merit. The list implies some lubricating benefit.

https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/13-amazing-uses-for-wd-40/

Latest posts

Back