• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WB Selb .40 cal Hawken Squirrel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been waiting on my Selb Hawken for going on 4 years. Quoted build time was 2 years.

He is severely backed up. I would probably look elsewhere. Hope mine is worth the wait if I ever get it.
Wow! What is he doing? Waiting for the maple tree to grow! If he is that far out, I wouldn't even be taking orders.

What I would do is check around here or on the ALR forum to see what active builders are up to. When you see work you like the looks of, message the builders and ask about their lead times. You might luck into a respected builder who is willing to take on work with a reasonable time of delivery. Asking for a simple, planer style of gun that would make for a quick build (think Schimmel or barn guns, plain Southern “poor boys” etc) can sweeten the deal vs desiring a complicated or intricate gun.

At least that’s been my experience.

My wait time for a Hawken from Mr. Selb now stands at a little over 3 years, not quite as bad as the fellow above who has waited 4 years. He quoted 18 months when i ordered it. I know he had a bad bout with covid early on which put him farther behind. I'm not getting any younger and my patience is running thin at this point. I guess I need to find out if I can get any of my deposit back if I cancel. I'd look elsewhere for a builder.

My wait time for a Hawken from Mr. Selb now stands at a little over 3 years, not quite as bad as the fellow above who has waited 4 years. He quoted 18 months when i ordered it. I know he had a bad bout with covid early on which put him farther behind. I'm not getting any younger and my patience is running thin at this point. I guess I need to find out if I can get any of my deposit back if I cancel. I'd look elsewhere for a builder.

I attempted to do just that. He said that first he would have to be able to sell the parts off before he would send any of my deposit back.

Well, Smokey, that doesn't make much sense. The only part that might not be useable for the next build in line might be the barrel. (Mine was to be 1" .58 straight. cut to 32".)

I’m at a little under 2.5 years I think. Lefty 58 cal 33” barrel. I emailed with him about a month ago and he said he was waiting on a left hand stock (I checked TOTW and they were all out of stock too). I know covid and parts had an impact. I’m patient but was hoping to have it for next year’s hunting season when I can draw my muzzleloader elk unit again.

I had to check my correspondence since it's been so long ago; my Hawken was to be .58 with a 34" straight barrel. With my wait at over 3 plus years and Smokey's at 4, I'd say your chances of getting it for next year's hunting season are unfortunately about zero. I'd have never ordered it if I'd have been given an accurate estimate of the time it'd take to complete, and would've certainly looked elsewhere. That said, I hear that Mr. Selb does build a nice rifle.

Anyone have an update on getting their rifle or any other comms on estimated delivery?

I almost ordered one of these but then thought about the wait and then considered that most of my events and shooting is 1800-1820 period. So, with that I will just stand pat for a bit. Until I find a lefty flint in the Bucks/Lehigh style. I will say though I absolutely love my Selb 54 and I have just enough kit to properly represent a 1845-1850 period at the Hawken Classic. Brant is doing all he can to keep up with what he has on his plate. He is one of the finest fella's you'll ever meet.

RM

Back