• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wayne’s Legion light infantry musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reading about the first national army in Autumn of the Black Snake by W. Homeland. There is a description of a redesigned musket for the Light Infantry units to allow faster shooting. Has anyone seen an example of these muskets?
General Wayne himself apparently was involved in the design of this gun and got approval from President Washington to spend funds to fabricate them for his light infantry units.

Leadball loader said:
I have been reading about the first national army in Autumn of the Black Snake by W. Homeland. There is a description of a redesigned musket for the Light Infantry units to allow faster shooting. Has anyone seen an example of these muskets?
General Wayne himself apparently was involved in the design of this gun and got approval from President Washington to spend funds to fabricate them for his light infantry units.

Leadball Loader, that's very interesting. I have been studying early US muskets for many years and have never heard of "a redesigned musket for the Light Infantry units". Did the author describe the Light Infantry pattern muskets and give a fabricator's name?

The muskets had a slanted vent so the fine powder used to charge the weapon would fill the pan when poured down the muzzle. The soldier could therefore keep his attention on the enemy and the gun would be ready to shoot after ramming the charge.
I believe they modified the standard model 1766 infantry muskets and this was the cost Wayne needed authorization for.
These guns were used only by the light infantry that were front line and trained to engage and fall back or move to the flanks as the Main lines came up.
Wayne did a lot of live fire training with all troops so I assume they were used.

Back