• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wax over Chambers stock finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.

I've been doing some searches on a protection wax to go over a Chambers finish. Renaissance wax seems to be quite popular but some folks are saying it's not so good when lots of handling is involved. Just would like to get some opinions on this wax or any other ideas.

Thanks
Kelvin

For 40 years, I have used Maguires carnuba wax. Wipe on, buff it out. No problem so long as it is over a smooth sealed finish.

I use plain old Johnson's paste wax. A large can stays on my workbench as it's also good for lubing wood screws. All of my rifles and pistols wear a coat or more of Johnson's on the metal. Before hunting season begins I add 3 coats to the metal surfaces of my flintlocks and buff it out real good. When I get home a quick once over with a clean cloth buffs out any fingerprints and keeps it rust free. The flinters also gets a good coat on the wood.
Lately I've started totin' 2 clean cloths on hunts and buff often. Who wants to hunt with an ugly gun? There are probably better waxes out there but until I find them Johnson's works good enough for me.

I out a coup,e coats of Brix wax over the chamber's oil finish. It holds up well. I have an old can of min wax paste I use occasionally also.

Back