• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wax,,,oil,,,???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Whats the best thing to shine a stock or entire rifle? I keep thinking a car wax or maybe kiwi neutral shoe polish and byff it with a soft brush. Think that would be ok fir all the metal too. I've been just wiping the whole gun with LPS#2 but give it a week and I can probably find a small rust spot 1/8 to 1/4. Looks good at f I rst ainey but next day it's gone

I’ve used this for years. I’ve used it as patch lube a few times with good results and it’s surprisingly good at rust prevention.
IMG_1588.jpeg

Don't use anything with silicone in it . It can get into the wood or onto the metal and may prevent future repairs / refinishing from working . At least that is what Museums have told me .
You need to find a wax which is not going to alter the wood or metal and will stand the test of time
Microcrystalline wax is good stuff , Google it
I like the smell of Ballistol .

Whats the best thing to shine a stock or entire rifle? I keep thinking a car wax or maybe kiwi neutral shoe polish and byff it with a soft brush. Think that would be ok fir all the metal too. I've been just wiping the whole gun with LPS#2 but give it a week and I can probably find a small rust spot 1/8 to 1/4. Looks good at f I rst ainey but next day it's gone
I’ve been using Johnson’s Paste Wax on the stock and the barrel (outside) for a very long time and from a can that I bought more than 20 years ago. I also like Butcher’s Wax for the same purpose.

Back