• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wax and Crisco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's available in a wide range of melting points, if you shop for differentiated paraffins. At the high end, the melting point is a tad higher'n beeswax.

AH but will you get that, or will you get paraffin with stearin added? ;) We're talkin' craft shop purchases, here, I think. I suppose you can find it on the internet without the stearin.

LD

I once had a .58 Zouave and fired more minies than ball. I lubed the minies with a Crisco/paraffin lube and had no trouble with the lube. They fired accurately and the bore cleaned up pretty nice.

AH but will you get that, or will you get paraffin with stearin added? ;) We're talkin' craft shop purchases, here, I think. I suppose you can find it on the internet without the stearin.

LD
I don't know about craft stores, but there are specialty shops that sell pure, differentiated paraffin that melts in eight to ten degree ranges. Certain temperatures are recommended for different types of candle making.

Beeswax is much better than paraffin wax. You can actually use beeswax as a flux for casting lead, and it does not burst into flames like the candle wax. I make my own swage lube with lanolin and castor oil with a bit of jojoba oil and found that beeswax, swage lube and jojoba oil makes a nice patch lube and keeps things clean in an all natural package. Much better than petrochemicals.

Try doing a search for Gatofeo #1 lube, it calls for parafin wax, and it is a very good lube!

I must be too dumb to realize I have a problem but I've been using Crisco forever with good results. I bought a jar of Wonder Lube 1000 and I'll be darned if I can see any difference in the mess between it and Crisco. The only difference I see is in the price.

Back