Waterproofing a haversack -- oil vs wax?

Discussion in 'Trekking' started by David Veale, Mar 14, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 17, 2019 #21

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Leather buckets were common, and we see them in paintings. I don’t know if one could tell a canvas bucket heavily waxed and tarred in the background of a painting from a leather bucket. Seas were rough and stuffed got carried away a lot. Most every ship had a sail maker on board. Besides sails the sailor maker made tarps, hammocks, slops, swigging beds, ect.

Nyckname likes this.
  2. Mar 18, 2019 #22

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Still need a period reference though. I know how they were made, and I'd prefer the ones reenforced with hemp, but sometimes you need to be able to point to a historic reference. Kinda like the two-tined twisted wire fork..., took a while for a bunch to be unearthed to show they had them, and in large numbers. :thumb: Having the tech and materials unfortunately is sometimes not the same as having the item. They had steel, and made skillets, but 18th century England never developed the Wok....;)

LD

3. Mar 18, 2019 #23

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

You may be right that such a thing was unused, and I’m sure not able to prove it. It ain’t going to rattle my cage though as at the most I’ve moved some water around camp with it. It’s never on display, it’s not part of my Historic kit persay.
    My addition to this on this thread was how you could simply make something of canvas and water resistant very easy. If there was no canvas pails there were at least haversack shaped bags.

Loyalist Dave likes this.
  4. Mar 19, 2019 #24

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Yeah, that's one of the beauties of this forum, as often when I'm about to give up on finding some reference to something in the material culture..., then somebody (OK often Spence) posts one or more references, and voila, something is less obscure.

Or to coin a phrase from pop music, "Ooop der it is! Ooop der it is!"

So I'm still hoping, as it would reduce the space needed in my camping stuff...

LD

5. Mar 19, 2019 #25

Flint62Smoothie

Flint62Smoothie

Flint62Smoothie

50 Cal.

Yes, Spense is a treasured resource for sure!

6. Mar 26, 2019 #26

Hand Raiser

Hand Raiser

Hand Raiser

32 Cal MLF Supporter

I recently made a tarp out of a king size bedsheet using the linseed oil and mineral spirits treatment. I also wanted to give it a darker color than just using fabric die . Since I am an artist who uses oil paint I thought I would squeeze some Raw Sienna oil color into the mix and was extremely pleased with the look. Can't give you any news on how it will hold up yet but oil paintings have been around for hundreds of years while stored in awful conditions so we will see. Oh, I didn't paint the mix on but soaked the tarp in a bucket then massaged the mix into the cloth to really get it into all the pores. Hope this gives ya some food for thought.

7. Jul 4, 2019 #27

smoothshooter

smoothshooter

smoothshooter

50 Cal.

Why not just spray the bag with Scotchguard or something similar?
    Is supposed to work great and nobody will know unless you tell them.

8. Jul 4, 2019 #28

David Veale

David Veale

David Veale

36 Cl.

While I don't doubt that it works, Scotchguard is one of the products that's loaded with PFAS/PFOAS -- the persistent chemicals that should never have been approved and have contaminated groundwater around the country (there's a huge plume near Kalamazoo, about an hour's drive from me, and it's showing up in lakes near our home as well). I won't bore you with details you don't already know, but suffice to say you don't want it around your body even in minute amounts now that we know what this stuff does to people.

For me, being "period correct" is as much about avoiding plastics, harmful chemicals, and all the industrial crap we've made for ourselves as it is about working with my hands, better understanding my ancestors, and spending time out in the real world (nature).

I would also note that either linseed oil or beeswax lend a stiffness and improved wear to the fabric that Scotchgard doesn't.