• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waterproof powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A wild idea but....

I recently saw dry sand being waterproofed by spraying with Scotchguard. Made me wonder if one could waterproof black powder with it?

I shall now reset my brain to default 'confused'.

zimmerstutzen said:
Mix your Goex with a little Lycopodium powder

I googled lycopodium. It is a homeopathic plant derived remedy for almost anything that ails you. :hmm: Or so some sights say.
Does is dry bp?
There was a product on the market years ago, a white powder, that claimed to make bp waterproof. Methinks if it worked it would still be around.

I never heard of Lycopodium powder so I looked it up in wikipedia. Highly flammable and often used as a latex glove or condom lubricant? :youcrazy:

I doubt it but there was some of the old combustible cartridges that were essentially caseless and coated with some type of shellac to meet military requirements. These were soaked in water for 4 hours and fired but only about 30% went off and the military didn't favor that type ammunition thereafter. I think the manufacturer was Johnston & Dow.

yulzari said:
A wild idea but....

I recently saw dry sand being waterproofed by spraying with Scotchguard. Made me wonder if one could waterproof black powder with it?

I shall now reset my brain to default 'confused'.

So far as I know neither sand or Scotchgard is a propellant.
When we start adding things to propellants we must ask some questions. First will it effect ballistic performance?
The exterior of the powder is one burn rate controller. Will the addition of some chemical goo effect this?
Will the powder ignite? Will the coating turn into an explosive and blow the gun up?
Powder can be waterproofed by placing it in a water tight container this has worked for centuries..
A primed cartridge case with a charge of powder added and a bullet press fit to the case neck works too.
Its why all the various military organizations around the world use them to keep their powder dry starting in the 1860s.

Dan

Fire triangleFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
The fire triangle.The fire triangle or combustion triangle is a simple model for understanding the necessary ingredients for most fires.[1]

The triangle illustrates the three elements a fire needs to ignite: heat, fuel, and an oxidizing agent (usually oxygen). The fire will be prevented or extinguished by removing any one of the elements in the fire triangle. A fire naturally occurs when the elements are present and combined in the right mixture.[2]

Without sufficient heat, a fire cannot begin, and it cannot continue. Heat can be removed by the application of a substance which reduces the amount of heat available to the fire reaction. This is often water, which requires heat for phase change from water to steam. Introducing sufficient quantities and types of powder or gas in the flame reduces the amount of heat available for the fire reaction in the same manner. Scraping embers from a burning structure also removes the heat source. Turning off the electricity in an electrical fire removes the ignition source.
Without fuel, a fire will stop. Fuel can be removed naturally, as where the fire has consumed all the burnable fuel, or manually, by mechanically or chemically removing the fuel from the fire. Fuel separation is an important factor in wildland fire suppression, and is the basis for most major tactics, such as controlled burns. The fire stops because a lower concentration of fuel vapor in the flame leads to a decrease in energy release and a lower temperature. Removing the fuel thereby decreases the heat.
Without sufficient oxygen, oxidizer a fire cannot begin, and it cannot continue. With a decreased oxygen concentration, the combustion process slows. In most cases, there is plenty of air left when the fire goes out so this is commonly not a major factor.

Seal one off and no combustion.

Sand is sodium silicate, so how does it soak up water?

No Sand does not soak up water.. it may appear as though it does however water is just being displaced between the sand particles. Think of sand like pennies on a larger scale if you were to place the same amount of pennies in a cup as sand and pour water into the cup the pennies would give the illusion as though the water has been soaked up. So to answer your question no sand does not soak up water.

Maybe silica powder, just a pinch mix with the powder to absorb the water. Might work to keep the powder in a humid conditions but I doubt it could save BP that took a real soaking.
Any BP that I've dumped it water appeared to dissolve into the finest dust particles.
I doubt there is any liquid that when mixed with BP that wouldn't destroy the grain size, which would alter the burn rate.

Back