• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Water

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edpenny

32 Cal
Reaction score
What do you use to get the bore dry before oiling? I've been using WD-40 and then oiling with Knight gun oil. I'm just looking some more options.

I clean with warm soapy water, flush with very hot clear water, blow down the barrel and out the touch hole, then spray wd-40 down the hot barrel to displace any water. Then I coat with bore butter and put it away. Before shooting, one tight patch to clear out the bore butter and off we go!

Forty years and no rust to date.

ADK Bigfoot

I use Barricade sprayed into the bore and then swabbed with a clean patch.
On rifles with easily removed barrels, I then hold the breech over the flame on my gas stove to heat it up just a little hotter than boiling water.
I figure that will boil out any water that might be trapped in the breech plug threads.

I just use dawn/water to clean (just warm, not hot), then use drying patches until dry, then oil with bear grease (used to use olive oil, but not since I got the bear grease). Then dry patch again and give the rifle a wipe down. Nothing fancy here and I’m satisfied there is no harm to the bore.
Walk
PS, my drying patches are made from torn strips of paper towel.

I like WD 40 to wipe with when I’m dry. And I dry it out to oil.
However in the tall timber or at a multi day event I have no WD40. I dry, dry and dry some more. Then grease with mink oil or lard, even tallow if handy.

I use a grease gun and pack the bore with several ounces of white lithium grease all the way up to the muzzle.

Next, the entire gun is dipped into a vat of molten cosmoline and allowed to dry.

The next morning I put it into the carbonite freezing chamber and put the rifle into a state of suspended animation until the next outing.

In 30 years I haven’t found a spot of rust.

Then grease with mink oil or lard, even tallow if handy.
How much salt is in lard? You would think its a safe alternative.......until you see some of my tools. I use needle nose pliers to dip horn parts into hot, new lard. I wipe down the tools when I'm done, believing the coating will lube them for life.
You want to talk about a rust farm! Takes steel wool just to get SOME of the rust off. No way I'm lubing my bore with it!o_O

I don't post very much . You fellows already know what I know and then some.
A wet barrel layed across two burners of my wifes kitchen stove is my way of drying out my barrel. I do run a dry patch down the barrel to be sure it is dry! Been doing it since the eighties! Works like a champ!

Back