• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

water profing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: it's got to beat thouse spray cans from walmart. Maby I can add it to my back order of primers from cabelas

Another non-period option is to go to lowe’s or somewhere that carries a latex barn paint. Or a deck sealer.

I think I remember a potter telling me about a wash that can be made by deloting pant with water.

The old formula of thompsons water seal was good. But the new formula is more of a parafin base; not good around flames! I used canvac on my tent a few years ago and it has held up well.I would stay away from deck sealers unless you know how they react to canvas and flames!

Another non-period option is to go to lowe’s or somewhere that carries a latex barn paint. Or a deck sealer.
I tried the paint route. It made the tarp too stiff & heavy to use.
( I might have had the wrong stuff though. It was deck "stain", which turned out to be paint.)

If you get heavy plain cotton canvas, the fibers will swell when wet and self seal.
Don't touch the inside when it's wet, though. That will create a leak.
Not sure of the physics of it but probably something to do with surface tension.

Back