• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Watco danish oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
# one,,,,,,,,,, Watco oil is a wipe on , wipe off finish , and can be used as a first coat or two as a sealer after the alcohol base stain coats. Allow the Watco oil to dry a couple days before applying gel poly urethane because the VOC's in the watco react with the urethane. Then , To add thickness to the finish , , use poly urethane gel , follow the instructions on the can followed by very, very, very, light steel wooling , oooo grade looking for any imperfections in the finish , such as marks left by the application pledgette , (small wad of TEE shirt used as an applicator.) Let dry 12 hrs. , between coats of urithane gel. After 4 to 6 coats of gel finish , very very very gently wool the finish all over. Apply a thin wiping coat of Watco oil and allow the finish to harden up for a couple days , and wax the finish with Minwax Special Dark furniture wax.
# two...... A cheap , quick , and done finish , is alcohol stain dried with a heat gun , steel wool between coats. , and while the wood is warm from the heat gun , apply the Watco oil on the warm wood until the wood stops soaking up the oil. Allow to dry , and a second and third wipe on wipe off coat can be done . Next , wax the stock with Minwax Special dark wax , and done .

# one,,,,,,,,,, Watco oil is a wipe on , wipe off finish , and can be used as a first coat or two as a sealer after the alcohol base stain coats. Allow the Watco oil to dry a couple days before applying gel poly urethane because the VOC's in the watco react with the urethane. Then , To add thickness to the finish , , use poly urethane gel , follow the instructions on the can followed by very, very, very, light steel wooling , oooo grade looking for any imperfections in the finish , such as marks left by the application pledgette , (small wad of TEE shirt used as an applicator.) Let dry 12 hrs. , between coats of urithane gel. After 4 to 6 coats of gel finish , very very very gently wool the finish all over. Apply a thin wiping coat of Watco oil and allow the finish to harden up for a couple days , and wax the finish with Minwax Special Dark furniture wax.
# two...... A cheap , quick , and done finish , is alcohol stain dried with a heat gun , steel wool between coats. , and while the wood is warm from the heat gun , apply the Watco oil on the warm wood until the wood stops soaking up the oil. Allow to dry , and a second and third wipe on wipe off coat can be done . Next , wax the stock with Minwax Special dark wax , and done .
Thank you oldwood I will try that. I like your idea with the heat gun.

I’ve used mixed in with Linseed Oil, it Acts like a thinner for the linseed and seals up the wood.

For a final coat I rubbed in linseed with my hand, its a good finish but I would’t call it durable.

Danish Oil is designed more for household things like chairs, railings etc.

I haven’t tried to mix it in with Tung OIl, that might provide a More durable finish.

I‘m currently sealing my guns up with Thinned out Mohawk hard top varnish, 1 part varnish and one part spirits. Once the stock is all sealed up I put a coat of straight varnish. Then buff and sand down the varnish to a frosty looking sealed up grain.

Last, I rub on linseed or Tung oil, and rub in with heat.

This has so far produced the nicest stock finish I’ve ever used.

Back in the mid eighties I worked for a paint store and we had a watco rep come in. He had a paint roller cover that had been soaked in watco natural and allowed to dry. He was using it to drive nails into a board. But that was when watco owens them.

Latest posts

Back