• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Watching Jeremiah Johnson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still get chastised for laughing at the inside joke in Jeremiah Johnson. In the beginning he laments that he had to buy a 32 Hawken. I am always reminded that the source literature documents the 32 caliber statement. Of course no one realized that in 1840 caliber, gauge, bore were used almost interchangeably. JJ had a 32 gauge Hawken certainly, which is roughly a 0.526" diameter bore. But that didn't fit well in the plot line, so they used caliber incorrectly.

And "Under these Same Stars", a true story based on an Indian Slave woman running off with a trapper in Ste. Genevieve in about 1775. Some of the dialog is directly taken from Spanish documents on the trial and investigation of a dead Indian slave woman. A lot of the interior scenes and exterior scenes are taken in actual French Colonial buildings in Ste. Genevieve.

It doesn't have A list stars, but I give it 5 stars for its portrayal of the material culture of 1770. But when the worst of flubs was a British serjeant carrying a French musket, I can be pretty forgiving.

Jeremiah Johnson is an all time classic, wonderful show, great times.

Last of the Mohicans was such a great show that I watched it 5 times at the theaters when it first released.

staying with the black powder, muzzleloader theme..The Mountain Men (Brian Keith and Charleton Heston) and Texas Rising...my lord what a great series.

..and there was that cheesy TV series...Centennial, Cheesy but very very fun...so yeah, there's that..

And the Mountain Men, Winterhawk, Windwalker, How the West Was Won, The Blackrobe, Man in The Wilderness, Drums Along The Mohawk, Northwest Passage, The Kentuckyian ......
I enjoyed all of those. The native girl in Blackrobe swung a mean kindling stick...;)

I certainly agree about JJ. It was filmed in the Wasatch Mountains in Utah on land where I've frequently hiked. And may I add, A Man Called Horse with Richard Harris. (Ever notice that movies primarily about Native Americans always feature a white man in the lead role, whatever it might be?)

I have to beg to differ about one of the worst films I've ever seen, Winterhawk. Just one tidbit from this absolute disastrous waste of film stock: In one scene Winterhawk is riding his beautiful horse, prancing about on recently plowed/furrowed farmland, with a diesel rig passing by on the highway in the distance.

Side note: The heroine is played by Dawn Wells, who recently passed. RIP Mary Anne.

My brother and I watched it so much that our nan taped over the video, couldn't handle it anymore! Its what sparked my interest in hawken rifles.

I've always been interested in paints his shirt reds combination gun, never heard of them in the muzzleloader days.

I still get chastised for laughing at the inside joke in Jeremiah Johnson. In the beginning he laments that he had to buy a 32 Hawken. I am always reminded that the source literature documents the 32 caliber statement. Of course no one realized that in 1840 caliber, gauge, bore were used almost interchangeably. JJ had a 32 gauge Hawken certainly, which is roughly a 0.526" diameter bore. But that didn't fit well in the plot line, so they used caliber incorrectly.

It is referred to as a 30 cal in the film, not sure if that's slang for a 32 or just a mistake.

I certainly agree about JJ. It was filmed in the Wasatch Mountains in Utah on land where I've frequently hiked. And may I add, A Man Called Horse with Richard Harris. (Ever notice that movies primarily about Native Americans always feature a white man in the lead role, whatever it might be?)

I have to beg to differ about one of the worst films I've ever seen, Winterhawk. Just one tidbit from this absolute disastrous waste of film stock: In one scene Winterhawk is riding his beautiful horse, prancing about on recently plowed/furrowed farmland, with a diesel rig passing by on the highway in the distance.

Side note: The heroine is played by Dawn Wells, who recently passed. RIP Mary Anne.
Indian, snow, prancing horse???? I remember Dawn wells😊

Indian, snow, prancing horse???? I remember Dawn wells😊

With respect, did you miss the rest of that post? Mechanically plowed farmland in 1830's Montana? Diesel trucks passing in distance? In another scene around a campfire with Ms. Wells, you can see powerlines in the trees behind her. I've never seen such poor production values. (Although in a recent re-watch of "Turn - Washington's Spies" on Netflix I did notice contrails in one outdoor scene.)

I like to think that I was a typical teenage boy, but I liked Mary Anne a lot more than Ginger. 😬

With respect, did you miss the rest of that post? Mechanically plowed farmland in 1830's Montana? Diesel trucks passing in distance? In another scene around a campfire with Ms. Wells, you can see powerlines in the trees behind her. I've never seen such poor production values. (Although in a recent re-watch of "Turn - Washington's Spies" on Netflix I did notice contrails in one outdoor scene.)

I like to think that I was a typical teenage boy, but I liked Mary Anne a lot more than Ginger. 😬
Just a joke about overlooking the mistakes for the sake of seeing Wells in a part.
Yes it was near the top of poor production, poor dialogue, predictable story ect.
But I was just starting buckskinning when I saw it first. It was neat to see ML loaded properly, the big bore long gun shot off of cross sticks, the fat boy running in the creek trying to load his blanket gun,’ Waugh it twere too much fun’

Back