• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Watching Jeremiah Johnson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I really wanted to say - but didn't - is that there are almost no movies about Native Americans or First Peoples that aren't also primarily about their interactions with white folks. And the white guys always get top billing, regardless of the story. I can only think of one example of a Hollywood movie just about Native Americans, Windwalker, but guess who's in the lead role? Another white guy, British actor Trevor Howard.
Should check out the 1993 movie "The Broken Chain" if it's available. Not really what you were thinking of but main cast is indigenous with the exception of Peirce Brosnan, still is an excellent movie.

Last edited:
Just one more movie that hasn't been mentioned regarding what to me are great Native American scenes using mostly real Native Americans. "Last of the Dogmen" staring Tom Berenger and a fine young gal named Barbara Hershey. Narrated by Wilford Brimley which gives the flick a lot of plusses!

Regarding the movie Jerimiah Johnson, the main theme song and narration was done by the son of famed actors John McIntire (Wagon Train) and his wife Jeanette Nolan (Dirty Sally). Tim McIntire, also an actor with a lot of musical talent. He had other connections with Robert Redford having a part in his movie "Brubaker". IMHO, Jerimiah Johnson's music and narration are what help make this film a true blockbuster!

The movie was Revolution. Released in 1985. Starred Al Pacino, Donald Sutherland, and Nastassja Kinski. Available on DVD via Amazon. I have seen a couple of different endings, but overall, a decent movie.
I looked up ‘Revolution’ on youtube. one came up, played it, thought it was a bit corny then one of the Boons broke into song!

Turns out it’s ‘Revolution II’ and it IS corny. They sure don’t make then like that any more🤣🤣🤣

FROZEN MOOSE LEG, no, reply's? was it a frozen MOOSE leg that the squaw used to beat the guy with in BLACK ROBE? I MAY BE WRONG, BUT THAT IS WHAT I remember what she used too beat the guy with & kill him with?

My wife and I have watched JJ probably every year for thirty years. I think that it has a perfectly captured sense of story and all the characters are perfectly done. No wasted dialogue, and the whole story is cohesive. For us, it is that more enjoyable knowking that it is based on the story of John Johnston, an actual mountain man also known as "Liver Eating Johnston (maybe it was Johnson?). There are a couple of great books, one a "oral history" titled The Saga of Liver Eating Johnston, and the other the fictitious novel "The MOuntain Man". Both are credited at the end of the movie, and both are great reads, with very close parallels to the movie JJ. Johnston was a real man, as Hugh Glass was, but a bit later in the 1800s. He served with some other withering mountain men in the Civil War, and is buried in a veterans cemetery (at a veterans home where he live his last years) in California, as I remember. I prefer to think "He is up there still....."
I havent seen Revolution since it came out. As I remember it was entertaining, but that was about it. All the British were evil caricatures', and I never figured out how Pacino's character went from being a lowly serf/ tradesman in a coastal colonial city to magically appear at the closing battle as a highly skilled fully kited out rifleman.

Should check out the 1993 movie "The Broken Chain" if it's available. Not really what you were thinking of but main cast is indigenous with the exception of Peirce Brosnan, still is an excellent movie.
There was a movie called "WinterHawk" from the 1970's. Nothing "white" about it (except of course the actors).

There was a movie called "WinterHawk" from the 1970's. Nothing "white" about it (except of course the actors).
I think your thinking of Wind Walker, made about the same time. All Indian story though Trevor Howard played the lead.
Winterhawk was about the kidnapping of a white woman and her young brother

I noticed that as JJ (getting ready to go after the Crow Indians i)s pulling his rifle from scabbard and cocks it. There must be an invisible CAP on nipple. It's not copper unless painted black. hmmmm.

is there a link for "Mountain Men" online?

saw "Many Rivers to Cross" again last week. Robert Taylor, a fetching Eleanor Parker & James Arness

I noticed that as JJ (getting ready to go after the Crow Indians i)s pulling his rifle from scabbard and cocks it. There must be an invisible CAP on nipple. It's not copper unless painted black. hmmmm.
common it is a movie. a thing called entertainment. I am sure that all movies can be picked apart? JMHO.

Back