• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Watching Jeremiah Johnson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll say one thing for the movie, there's no way the elk he shot was faked. That thing dropped like a spine shot bullock!

It’s easy to pick apart the very best of Hollywood, and the creme da la cream of Hollywood is pretty light. I have to say that for all their mistakes a lot of the old movies are entertaining. From Rodger Rangers funny cap and God Awful uniforms in North west passage to Fess Parkers coon skin cap I just enjoy them.
I almost knew Mountain Men by heart and I don’t know how many times I’ve watched JJ.

A question : What was the name of that movie where the little boy was put over a cannon barrel; and the bottom of his feet were whipped bloody.. His Father rescued him ; and escaped.. I think Al Pacino played the Dad... any body remember that movie ?? Thanks in advance...

Just checked, Blackrobe and Winterhawk are available on YT so I will have to watch them again.

Jeremiah Johnson remains one of my most favorite movies. Not only did it lead me to purchase my TC in the 1970's but I went as far as to name my first son Jeremiah.

I will have to watch it again, along with these others as there remains not much to keep us occupied here in NY

Woody

The narrator says he got a .30 ( or was it .32?) caliber Hawken. The narrator is speaking in the present tense ("And some folks say, 'He's up there still.'"), and thus using modern bore diameter terminology would be accurate.

Just checked, Blackrobe and Winterhawk are available on YT so I will have to watch them again.

Jeremiah Johnson remains one of my most favorite movies. Not only did it lead me to purchase my TC in the 1970's but I went as far as to name my first son Jeremiah.

I will have to watch it again, along with these others as there remains not much to keep us occupied here in NY

Woody

Blackrobe just showed up on Amazon Prime. I've started watching it.

I certainly agree about JJ. It was filmed in the Wasatch Mountains in Utah on land where I've frequently hiked. And may I add, A Man Called Horse with Richard Harris. (Ever notice that movies primarily about Native Americans always feature a white man in the lead role, whatever it might be?)

I have to beg to differ about one of the worst films I've ever seen, Winterhawk. Just one tidbit from this absolute disastrous waste of film stock: In one scene Winterhawk is riding his beautiful horse, prancing about on recently plowed/furrowed farmland, with a diesel rig passing by on the highway in the distance.

Side note: The heroine is played by Dawn Wells, who recently passed. RIP Mary Anne.
" (Ever notice that movies primarily about Native Americans always feature a white man in the lead role, whatever it might be?) "
Jay Silverheels died in 1980 and what other Native American actor is there?

" (Ever notice that movies primarily about Native Americans always feature a white man in the lead role, whatever it might be?) "
Jay Silverheels died in 1980 and what other Native American actor is there?

What I really wanted to say - but didn't - is that there are almost no movies about Native Americans or First Peoples that aren't also primarily about their interactions with white folks. And the white guys always get top billing, regardless of the story. I can only think of one example of a Hollywood movie just about Native Americans, Windwalker, but guess who's in the lead role? Another white guy, British actor Trevor Howard.

Last edited:
I certainly agree about JJ. It was filmed in the Wasatch Mountains in Utah on land where I've frequently hiked. And may I add, A Man Called Horse with Richard Harris. (Ever notice that movies primarily about Native Americans always feature a white man in the lead role, whatever it might be?)

I have to beg to differ about one of the worst films I've ever seen, Winterhawk. Just one tidbit from this absolute disastrous waste of film stock: In one scene Winterhawk is riding his beautiful horse, prancing about on recently plowed/furrowed farmland, with a diesel rig passing by on the highway in the distance.

Side note: The heroine is played by Dawn Wells, who recently passed. RIP Mary Anne.
Ever notice that movies primarily about Native Americans always feature a white man in the lead role, whatever it might be?

Yes Kemosabe..........

What I really wanted to say - but didn't - is that there are almost no movies about Native Americans or First Peoples that aren't also primarily about their interactions with white folks. And the white guys always get top billing, regardless of the story. I can only think of one example of a Hollywood movie just about Native Americans, Windwalker, but guess who's in the lead role? Another white guy, British actor Trevor Howard.
Juliette, lady Macbeth, Cleopatra were all played by boys. Othello was first played by a white guy. King of Siam played by an English man and a Russian, in the magnificent seven Eli Wallach a Central European Jew would play the Mexican bandit. Most Japanese were played by Chinese during the Second World War movies and much later.

And the Mountain Men, Winterhawk, Windwalker, How the West Was Won, The Blackrobe, Man in The Wilderness, Drums Along The Mohawk, Northwest Passage, The Kentuckyian ......

I forgot about “Winterhawk”. Fun movie. Wasn’t there like a barb wire fence or power line in that one they didn’t edit out? But yeah, the Good ole days...👍

I'll say one thing for the movie, there's no way the elk he shot was faked. That thing dropped like a spine shot bullock!
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!" Classic line! :D

I agree about that elk kill being legit, but there's another scene where he shoots a running deer and it's obvious that a couple guys off screen just toss a deer carcass into the snow. That always makes me laugh.

Latest posts

Back