• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wasp nest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a massive wasp hive on a hike yesterday, and have been reading on the forum that some people use it as wadding. How do I go about this? Do I treat it like tow? How flammable is it? -Larry

I use it in my 20 ga FDC as well as treated newspaper. I don’t have to worry about setting a fire.
I think the newspaper packs slightly better for holding the ball secure in the gun though.
LBL

IT can be used under the ball to help seal the bore and protect your patch from lube and as on over ball wad too help keep your ball in place.

It just takes a pinch.
I’ve never seen any smolder.

Make darn sure the wasp are gone before harvesting it, guess why I give this advice? Wasp are dormant when chilled and get very active when warmed. It makes great wadding, just tear a hunk off and down the barrel it goes.

Are you talking about a hornets nest, big as a soccer ball, gray paper?

Spence

I hope not! Lol

I used wasp nest, hornet nest are hard too come by around my place.

I used both however, wasp nest are just more commonly.
I mostly use it as a buffer between powder and patched ball during hunting season, if there’s a chance I may not shoot the gun that day.

it has a natural fire retardant and will not set the woods on fire. pour in powder and a wad of nest over the powder, then ball or shot if using your smooth bore as a shot gun, then either a bare ball and another wad on top of bare ball. if a patched RB. is used just seat it down into the wasp / hornets nest. this was used many years ago by hunters. it is also waterproof, that it can withstand the elements / rain, or else it would disintegrate in rain and inclement weather. as seen they build them in the open areas, bushes, trees, ETC. make Shure that you harvest them in the fall / winter months when they are not home. PS, and yes you can use all of the nest even the comb that had the babies in it, even the dead ones. and the hive / nest weight's nothing.

I use telephone book paper for wadding. I rub some lube on the over powder portion. The lube keeps the paper moist enough to prevent smoldering.

Soaking newsprint in a borax solution, then drying it, is a standard way to make it fire retardant.
The same might work for tow or jute fiber.

I generally use it. I try to keep a little on hand. Go on nest hunts along about November here around the place.

where is the outer part of the nest, the paper part? as I said I use all of the nest's . BTW, that is a nice stash!!. the old timers used to say that the unborn PAUPA will lubricate your bore!

I found a massive wasp hive on a hike yesterday, and have been reading on the forum that some people use it as wadding. How do I go about this? Do I treat it like tow? How flammable is it? -Larry

The tough part is serving the eviction notice on a couple thousand angry wasp... Good luck, take an epi pen.
😁

Even if you gather in the Fall, it might pay to microwave them for a minute or so.
I had a couple smaller ones, apparently empty, that I'd found in late Fall. When we had a very warm week mid-winter, I found a newly hatched wasp flying around my apartment. I trapped it in a butter tub and ushered it outside.
I now microwave all nests.

Learned the trick from a carver who made tiny (1/8-3/8' diameter) ornaments from twigs. A customer found fine dust on his desk under the hanging sculpture. Minuscule eggs became tiny grubs. Now he microwaves his twigs before spending his time on them.

Back