• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wasp nest wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say I've ever had a problem with wasps nest wadding smoldering, as said, maybe yours is too dried out.

Here's a thought, couldn't you "LUBE" a dried wasp nest with something like Wonder Lube or Crisco before using it?

Not according to the directons- new old wives tale I guess soes like this.
;
; Hornets nest wads - fireproof and acts almost like asbetos - by Sam.
:
: almost his exact words, too :crackup: :crackup:.

appeared to be protecting the ball's patch, not that it was actually fireproof as stated - it is easy to misinterpret, isn't it?

It only has to be "fire retardent" for 1/500th of a second. Not "fire proof." A single sheet of paper burns easily, but a stack of 50 sheets is tought to light because there is no air. Compressing the nest material reduces the surface area exposed to air. The rear 3/4 of the wad can be consumed in flames and it will still do it's job plenty well . . . as long as the blast doesn't have blow-by into the shot column. It will char like cotton and that carbonization protects the wadding farther forward.

I'm sure all that mattered to the ancients was that it compresses and holds so that the powder or shot didn't spill out the barrel. Flame resistance was secondary.

Back