• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Washington State regs question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the book in front of me and I can't find it:

Can I carry my BP .44 revolver in the field with me while I hunt deer with my rifle? Mainly for mercy, but there will be some chances at small game along the way, so I was thinking it may be fun to take it with me.

Page 74. Cannot use a ML handgun to finish off a deer unless it is 45 cal,8 inch barrel and able to loaded with 45 grains of powder. Section 2 G states you can use your 44 revolver for small game.

I think the states do it purpose so they can catch folks on the obscure stuff. :surrender:

45 grains of 3f is a pretty serious pistol charge! i have a lyman 50 cal plains pistol and i dont think i would bother loading it that hot (30-35 grains works well).

just goes back to the ignorance of lawmakers. a 1858 loaded with 25 grains of 3F would probably shoot strait threw most deer at close range. i know i can shoot threw a treated 2x6 piece of lumber like it was butter at 50 yards.

At 50 yards it might work. Stupid deer have been known to come right in my yard and get within 10 yards of my window. I am sure I could drop a deer with the .44; I load it with 27 grains of 3F. That bullet load will go through a thick board, an oil barrel and into the dirt at 30 yards. Pretty sure a deers soft flesh wouldn't be an issue.

Anouther question:
Does puttiing the butt stock on the pistol legaly transform it into a rifle? (silly question, but I figure if the lawyers are being stupid on other issues, maybe they are stupid here also)

cynthialee said:
At 50 yards it might work. Stupid deer have been known to come right in my yard and get within 10 yards of my window. I am sure I could drop a deer with the .44; I load it with 27 grains of 3F. That bullet load will go through a thick board, an oil barrel and into the dirt at 30 yards. Pretty sure a deers soft flesh wouldn't be an issue.

Anouther question:
Does puttiing the butt stock on the pistol legaly transform it into a rifle? (silly question, but I figure if the lawyers are being stupid on other issues, maybe they are stupid here also)

Here in colorado it does they state you cannot attach a buttstock to any handgun for stabelization.

Cynthialee said:
Anouther question:

if its a modern gun then yes, now if its a muzzleloading gun then im not sure. it would probably be up to the game warden to decide.

-matt

Cynthialee said:
I have the book in front of me and I can't find it:

Can I carry my BP .44 revolver in the field with me while I hunt deer with my rifle? Mainly for mercy, but there will be some chances at small game along the way, so I was thinking it may be fun to take it with me.

Oregon states single shot ML... dosnt awnser exaclty but we seem to more alike then not BUT we also allow for protection carry which is any legal pistol...??? :idunno:

bnb said:
Page 74. Cannot use a ML handgun to finish off a deer unless it is 45 cal,8 inch barrel and able to loaded with 45 grains of powder. Section 2 G states you can use your 44 revolver for small game.

How are they ever going to know how many grains of powder you had in the pistol? :youcrazy:

well I settled it all and didn't carry the revolver durring the hunt. I tried the first day and it was too heavy. Add in Matt to the hunt and I felt rather safe and saw no need for the revolver for saftey. Between my Hawken and his Long Rifle I am pretty sure we could have defended ourselves well enough.

I also settled it by getting a Hawken pistol in .50 from CVA. Now I have a pistol with long enough barrel and capable of holding a 45 grain charge. Which is madness. Like was pointed out, how is the warden gonna know how many grains of powder I shot bambi with in the first place?
45 grains is overkill in a .50 pistol meant to be shot at 50 yards and closser. I haven't nailed down its' sweet load but I'd bet a dollar to a dime it is no where near 45 grains.

anouther issue I have with the 45 grain rule is:
what if I am using swiss or 777?

Arbitrary number rules are stupid. The way it is written is crazy. No way I would put 45 grains of a hot powder down the muzzle of my pistol.

Cynthialee said:
anouther issue I have with the 45 grain rule is:
what if I am using swiss or 777?

Arbitrary number rules are stupid. The way it is written is crazy. No way I would put 45 grains of a hot powder down the muzzle of my pistol.

Government regulation is "stupid" .. a grain is a grain. :grin:

I'll bet ya the game wardens don't even know that law. Find your sweet spot a forget about it!.

Latest posts

Back