• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Washington on the history channel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It ran this week, I recorded it while at work off tonight and watching it
IMHO their doing well. And it’s nice to see. History on the history channel.
In ads they show a bio of Grant coming, I hope it’s done as well as this has been going so far.
What say you?

It ran this week, I recorded it while at work off tonight and watching it
IMHO their doing well. And it’s nice to see. History on the history channel.
In ads they show a bio of Grant coming, I hope it’s done as well as this has been going so far.
What say you?

Unless I'm mistaken, the redcoats are armed - in the film - with French muskets, probably Charlevilles. None of the redcoats is carrying a Brown Bess.

I think your right about that, there are a few other mistakes. It is Hollywood.
While showing the British approaching New York the fleet is made up of sixteenth century ships. A brief shot of the bombing of New York a ship shooting looks like Sovereign of the Seas. About a century after it sunk.

Last edited:
Overall I liked the program.

Did see a right hand fellow shooting a left hand musket, not sure how often that would really happen. I would figure if it did happen, it would have been the other way around.

You are right about that. Strangely, other shows with guns (Life Below Zero, hunting, etc.) close-ups often make the modern rifles look like left handers then a wider shot of same rifle and shooter, it is a right hand. Dunno if that is a technical thing or what.
Like others, I thought the show was, essentially, well done. Varied a bit from a bio I read but that is to be expected.

I think your right about that, there are a few other mistakes. It is Hollywood.
While showing the British approaching New York the fleet is made up of sixteenth century ships. A brief shot of the bombing of New York a ship shooting looks like Sovereign of the Seas. About a century after it sunk.

Well I missed that, but I'm not as up on period ships as you, so I wasn't looking that close. However, it still pretty much gives one the feeling what the average Bostonian must have felt to look out to the harbor one day in October 1768 or New York later on and see it filled with a HUGE British Fleet. "God's Bones!" (A common period and blasphemous exclamation of wonder.)

Some day Hollywood is going to give up on ALL period Artillery Shells blowing up in the air or when the Shells hit the ground. Yes, they did have Mortars with shells that did that and even Mortar Ships, but not regular or even Siege Artillery. Though it was a bit gory, at least in "The Patriot" they showed a period Artillery round shot coming towards a soldier, bouncing and then taking the Soldier's Head Off. The round shot acting that way was surprisingly period accurate.

I was pleasantly surprised they showed footage of Washington running Mount Vernon between wars. THAT was when Washington learned the basics to handle managerial problems of running an Army, though I was sad to see they missed that point.

Overall, though, I thought they did a pretty good job. Hopefully this will spur more interest in the period.

Gus

In several brief shots you see the tall and solid sterns of earlier ships. And one broad side fired at New York is shown from mid ships looking aft to what looks like the stern galleries Sovereign of the Seas

Saw the first installment tonight. One scene showed an attacking Indian cocking what looked like a percussion hammer.
I'm withholding judgement until I've seen the whole thing.

Richard/Grumpa

Well I missed that, but I'm not as up on period ships as you, so I wasn't looking that close. However, it still pretty much gives one the feeling what the average Bostonian must have felt to look out to the harbor one day in October 1768 or New York later on and see it filled with a HUGE British Fleet. "God's Bones!" (A common period and blasphemous exclamation of wonder.)

Some day Hollywood is going to give up on ALL period Artillery Shells blowing up in the air or when the Shells hit the ground. Yes, they did have Mortars with shells that did that and even Mortar Ships, but not regular or even Siege Artillery. Though it was a bit gory, at least in "The Patriot" they showed a period Artillery round shot coming towards a soldier, bouncing and then taking the Soldier's Head Off. The round shot acting that way was surprisingly period accurate.

I was pleasantly surprised they showed footage of Washington running Mount Vernon between wars. THAT was when Washington learned the basics to handle managerial problems of running an Army, though I was sad to see they missed that point.

Overall, though, I thought they did a pretty good job. Hopefully this will spur more interest in the period.

Gus
That was something I thought good in the patriot. And for all it’s problems it’s one of my favorite movies.
Cudos to master and commander also for showing real style ship to ship fights at this time... no exploding shells.
There were lots of examples of wrong guns.
I had wished there had been a little more attention to achievements of Green.
Now I’m looking forward to Grant later this year.

I thought the Washington series that was just on the History channel was done very well.

I'll admit I don't pay a lot of attention to the exact firearm or sword or shoes or hankie the characters are using or wearing on screen and I don't really give a hoot if some sailing ship in the distance has the right number of sails on it.

It is the details of the story that interests me more, along with how well the actors portray the people they are supposed to be.

I also learned I can try to get my doctor to prescribe some sort of medicine that will fix blotchy skin and I will only risk having problems with my liver, kidney and stomach plus developing pneumonia and heart problems. The miracle of modern science! Who would have guessed?

Back